avast! 8.x: Performing VPS update and/or Program update
|Why is it important to keep avast! 8.x updated?
Any antivirus program is only as good as its database of known virus definitions. This is what the program uses to identify threats to your computer, which is why it is important to ensure the virus definitions are regularly updated. By default, avast! 8.x is set to:
- Update the Engine and Virus Definitions (VPS) automatically whenever a new version is available.
- Ask you for the Program update when a new version is released (because it usually requires a restart of the computer).
The Engine is the part of the program that scans your computer for potential threats based on the Virus Definitions. The Program means what you can see, i.e. the user interface which is used to control what the program does. For each, you can configure whether you want to perform the updates automatically, or manually, or only on request when you'll see a notification that an update is available. But even with automatic updates switched on you can update manually anytime you need - for more information read the instructions below:
To access the Update Settings proceed as follows:
- Right-click on the avast! orange ball icon in the system tray and select 'Open avast! user interface' from the menu,
Figure I. A
...or double-click the desktop icon of installed avast! antivirus software to open the avast! user interface.
Figure II. A
- Click the 'SETTINGS' in the top right corner.
Figure III. A
- Click the option 'Updates' in the left pane to display UPDATE SETTINGS screen, and then you can select how the updates are carried out.
Figure IV. A
You can choose whether just the Engine and Virus Definitions or complete Program are updated automatically, or manually, or only on request following notification that an update is available. But normally the Program update includes also an update of the Engine and Virus Definitions. As already witten above, there should be set by default:
- ENGINE AND VIRUS DEFINITIONS to 'Automatic update'.
- PROGRAM to 'Ask when an update is available'.
Besides the selection whether you want to perform the updates automatically, or manually, or only on request, you can configure also few other settings:
- Update parameters
The type of internet connection that you use i.e. whether you connect to the internet using a dial-up modem or whether your computer is permanently connected to the internet. This will optimize the way that avast! 8.x checks for new updates and make the update process more reliable.
Here you can specify how much control do you prefer over the update process.
Figure V. A
- Update options
- Ask for reboot when needed - some updates require a system restart to take effect. If this box is checked, the restart will not be automatic. You will be asked whether you want to restart the system now, or later.
- Show notification box after automatic update - If this is checked a small notification message will be displayed briefly above the system clock, following an automatic update.
- Show notification box if an error occurs - If an error occurs during an automatic update, this will be reported in a notification message above the system clock.
- Auto-update interval
You can set the frequency of automatic updates i.e. how often avast! 8.x checks to see if an update is available.
- Proxy Settings
The settings on this section are important when avast! 8.x needs to access the Internet.
Figure VI. A
- If you connect directly to the internet (i.e. not through a proxy), select 'Direct connection (no proxy)'. Please be noted that dial-up connections do not use a proxy.
- If you are not sure whether you use a proxy server, or which proxy server you use, select 'Auto detect (use Interent Explorer settings)' or ask your internet provider or network administrator.
- If you connect to the internet through a proxy server and you know the proxy server details, select 'Specify proxy server' and enter the proxy details:
- Type - HTTP or SOCK4.
- Address - Enter the address of your proxy server.
- Port - Enter the port nuber that your proxy server uses.
- Authentication type - specify here whether the proxy server requires authentication and if so, the type of authentication.
- Username and Password - should be entered if required for authentication.
Finally, click on 'OK' to confirm changes.
The Engine is the part of the program that scans your computer for potential threats based on the Virus Definitions. To invoke latest VPS update manually please follow these steps:
- Right-click on the avast! orange ball icon in the system tray, select 'Update' from the menu and then 'Engine and virus definitions' to launch a virus database update.
Figure I. B
- The UPDATE screen in the avast! user interace will open and shows you an overal progress of the VPS update.
Figure II. B
- After the update finishes, a message confirming that the VPS update has been completed will appear in the results.
Figure III. B
The Program means what you can see - the user interface which is used to control what the program does. Please be noted, that Program update also includes an update of Engine and Virus Definitions (VPS). To invoke latest Program update manually please follow these steps:
- Right-click on the avast! orange ball icon in the system tray, select 'Update' from the menu and then 'Program' to launch a program update.
Figure I. C
- The UPDATE screen in the avast! user interace will open and shows you an overal progress of the Program update.
Figure II. C
- After the update finishes, a message confirming that the Program update (and also VPS update, if isn't already actual) has been completed will appear in the results.
Figure III. C
- If asked to restart your computer, click 'Yes' to reboot immediately.
Figure IV. C
avast! Premier 8.x
avast! Internet Security 8.x
avast! Pro Antivirus 8.x
avast! Free Antivirus 8.x
Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic / Home Premium / Business / Enterprise / Ultimate
Microsoft Windows XP Home / Professional / Media Center Edition