avast! 8.x: Upgrading from an older version of avast! Free Antivirus
|How to upgrade from an older version of avast! Free Antivirus to avast! Free Antivirus 8.x ?
If your free registration of an older version of avast! Free Antivirus isn't expired on your computer, you don't need to apply for a new registration to proceed with the upgrade to avast! Free Antivirus 8.x. Before you begin with the upgrade please ensure that:
- Any older version of avast! Free Antivirus is already installed on your computer.
- You are logged into Windows as an Administrator or as a user with administrator permissions (for instructions refer to the Windows help or documentation Microsoft's website, or contact your computer/network administrator),
- All other programs in Windows are closed and not running (for instructions refer to your vendor's documentation),
...to prevent avast! Internet Security 7.x from being incorrectly upgraded or aborted unexpectedly. When you are ready, proceed as follows:
- Right-click on the avast! orange ball icon in the system tray, select 'Update' from the menu and then click 'Program',
...or you can click 'Update now' when avast! Information popup tells you about availability of an update above the avast! orange ball icon in the system tray,
...or double-click the avast! Free Antivirus desktop icon to open the avast! user interface,
...in the left pane click the 'MAINTENANCE' tab, from the submenu select 'Update', and then click the 'Update program' button.
- If a dialog box offering the Soft Trial version of avast! Internet Security 8.x will appear, click 'Essential update' to continue.
Selecting the option 'Try avast! Internet Security for free' switches avast! Free Antivirus to the Soft Trial version of avast! Internet Security 8.x - for more information please read the following article:
- The UPDATE screen in the avast! user interface shows you then an overall progress of the Program update.
- When it's done, you will be asked to restart your computer. Click 'Yes' to reboot immediately.
The latest version of avast! Free Antivirus 8.x will be then installed on your computer and ready to use. If you have not registered it yet during 30 days trial period after the initial installation, you need to register to get your free license to continue to use it and stay protected. For more information and detailed step-by-step instructions please read the following article:
avast! Free Antivirus 8.x
avast! Free Antivirus 7.x
Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic / Home Premium / Business / Enterprise / Ultimate
Microsoft Windows XP Home / Professional / Media Center Edition