avast! EasyPass: FAQ - Synchronization
|avast! EasyPass FAQ - Synchronization
The main reasons are following:
- Maintain a backup of your Logins, in case of computer or disk failure.
- Keep Logins the same (in sync) on all your computers.
avast! EasyPass synchronizes your avast! EasyPass data with avast! EasyPass (Online) service. Your avast! EasyPass UserID and Password identifies your account in avast! EasyPass service.
- You buy one avast! EasyPass license.
- You activate avast! EasyPass on all your computers from a purchased license.
No. When it comes to storing your Logins in avast! EasyPass Online service, we will not allow them to be stored unencrypted. And your Logins are encrypted by Master Password as a key, so you must have a Master Password.
In general we think it is more secure to have your avast! EasyPass Password differ from your Master Password, but it is not required. Your avast! EasyPass Online UserID and Password allows anybody who knows them to gain access to your Login files. But the files are encrypted by Master Password. So if an unauthorized person obtains your Logins from avast! EasyPass account, they still cannot open them because they do not know your Master Password.
avast! EasyPass Sync setup creates special Login (passcard) named avast! EasyPass Online Account. This Login stores your avast! EasyPass credentials, so that you do not have to enter them for every sync. Your Master Password is required to open that Login, but it is never transmitted to the avast! EasyPass service, nor is it ever stored on our server, not even its hash.
All communications between the avast! EasyPass client and the avast! EasyPass server are encrypted by SSL. All your password-protected Logins and other avast! EasyPass data are additionally encrypted by your Master Password using AES encryption.
Your Master Password is not stored anywhere on the avast! EasyPass server (not even its hash) and our employees have no way of knowing it. The avast! EasyPass servers are located in a secure, Tier 1 facility in Fairfax County, Virginia, United States. This facility has armed guards, backup generators and connections to multiple Internet backbones.
A avast! EasyPass license entitles you to one avast! EasyPass (Online) account. If you were to use this account for multiple people, then all your Logins, Identities, Bookmarks, etc. would be commingled and would require the same Master Password to access. Therefore we recommend one avast! EasyPass license per user.
These events trigger sync with avast! EasyPass:
- You login to avast! EasyPass by entering Master Password.
- You change any avast! EasyPass file (Login, Identity, Safenote).
- You click the 'Sync' button on the avast! EasyPass Toolbar.
Synchronization is automatic except if you synced e.g. Computer A to avast! EasyPass and went to Computer B where avast! EasyPass is in logged in state already. In this case you should click the 'Sync' button on the Computer B to force sync.
When you perform initial sync of avast! EasyPass data files on a computer where you never synced before, it is likely that your avast! EasyPass files will be different from avast! EasyPass files on the server. If more than 10% of your avast! EasyPass data files differ or if you sync for the first time then avast! EasyPass will perform a Manual Sync, in which:
- avast! EasyPass analyzes differences between avast! EasyPass data on this computer and server.
- It presents these differences to you as a tree of changed files.
- You look through the file changes and change their directions, thus deciding who wins: a file from this computer or a file from the server.
- Note that if you reverse Copy of New File, it will become Delete of Existing File.
- Once you are happy with the edited changes, click 'Sync' button and they will be performed.
Restoring your Logins and other avast! EasyPass data to your computer from avast! EasyPass requires that you don't have any avast! EasyPass data stored on your computer, or else it would turn into synchronization of bad data set on the client with the good data set on the server, which would damage both.
So before you sync to a computer to restore, delete all files and folders inside the 'My Documents\My avast! EasyPass Data' folder, but not the folder itself. If you delete only Login (Passcard) files and not the _gsdata_ folder inside avast! EasyPass data folder then avast! EasyPass would think that you want to propagate deletion of all your Logins to the server.
Once the entire 'My avast! EasyPass Data' folder has been removed, click 'Sync' button to get avast! EasyPass data from the server.
No. Licensing is done per computer or device and synchronization is not required for license to be valid.
- Select 'avast! EasyPass' -> 'Sync' -> 'Settings'.
- Select 'Setup a New avast! EasyPass account', click 'Next'.
- Click 'Next' one more time to confirm the change.
- Enter new account UserID and Password, click 'Next' to proceed.
It is possible to use avast! EasyPass and sync it with avast! EasyPass server using GoodSync program. This is not the easiest way (avast! EasyPass is easier), but it provides a greater degree of control:
- All synchronization can be made manually, with preview of changes.
- Syncs can be done on any schedule you wish using GoodSync automation.
- You can exclude individual avast! EasyPass files, folders or files by pattern from the sync.
- You can sync avast! EasyPass data not only to avast! EasyPass server, but also to any SFTP, FTP, GSTP, S3 or NetShare server of your choice.
- Peer-to-peer syncing is available using new GoodSync ver. 9 GSTP protocol.
How to sync avast! EasyPass Data with avast! EasyPass server:
- Download GoodSync from www.goodsync.com.
- Create a new GoodSync job and click 'Browse' button on the right.
- Select 'WebDAV file system'.
- Enter URL as 'https://online.avast! EasyPass.com/users/userid' where 'userid' is your avast! EasyPass UserID.
- Enter the same UserID into the UserID field and avast! EasyPass password into the Password field.
- Click 'Go' button to verify the account access.
- Click 'OK' to commit the changes.
- Click the left 'Browse' button and enter avast! EasyPass Data folder on local computer to sync with.
avast! EasyPass has its own built-in synchronizer to sync with avast! EasyPass. So you do not need GoodSync, if you sync only avast! EasyPass data only to your avast! EasyPass (Online) account. If you want to sync your Logins to a location other than avast! EasyPass, you should get a GoodSync license (one per computer) in addition to avast! EasyPass license.
Each avast! EasyPass Profile requires a separate avast! EasyPass account. You can use more than one avast! EasyPass account, even on one avast! EasyPass license.
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic / Home Premium / Business / Enterprise / Ultimate
Microsoft Windows XP Home / Professional / Media Center Edition
Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional