Author Topic: E-mail anti-spam software  (Read 14485 times)

MLReynolds

E-mail anti-spam software
« on: December 24, 2003, 05:20:54 PM »
Hello.

I have been concidering using some type of  e-mail sorting/classifying software. However, most require your e-mail software to use them as a proxy server. Wouldn't that prevent Avast from scanning e-mail, even if using 127.0.0.1?

Any thoughts?

Thank you,
Michael

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re:E-mail anti-spam software
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2003, 06:08:32 PM »
lots of us use antispam software and avast still scans it
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

MLReynolds

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2003, 06:51:16 PM »
Thank you.

MIchael

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2003, 12:24:04 PM »
Definetively, SpamPal, Spamihilator, MailWasher and a lot of other spam killers works with avast. The first two need special configuration. If you want more help, just let us know.
The best things in life are free.

FRANK1932

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2003, 09:31:22 PM »
Any information on McAfee Spamkiller.  I cannot get it (spamkiller) to access my Compuserve account (host not found).  I just installed avast and everything works fine as far as email goes.  I can set the server in Spamkiller, so I set it to 127.0.0.1 with no success.  I use Compuserve Classic as my isp.  Any help would be appreciated.

frank

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2003, 10:58:12 PM »
What version Of spam Killer?
I use  spam killer version1.4.82 (build date Feb 6, 2000 filter date Dec 12 2003)
 it works well with avast all i did was set it to 127.0.0.1 and all is fine.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Culpeper

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2003, 06:16:44 AM »
Definetively, SpamPal, Spamihilator, MailWasher and a lot of other spam killers works with avast. The first two need special configuration. If you want more help, just let us know.

Yes, Technical is the resident expert on Spamihilator but I'm the know-it-all for SpamPal ;D

::)I'm probably going to live to regret that brazen statement about myself!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2003, 06:20:54 AM by Culpeper »

sunilcherian

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2003, 04:29:07 PM »
Hi, Your subject is anti-spam and your body states email-sorting software. I think you would understand that both does 2 different functions. Which are you really looking for ???

Anti-Spam / Email Sorting

Sunil (India)

bbfi

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2003, 05:31:51 PM »
Culpeper,

I'm the know-it-all for SpamPal  ::) I'm probably going to live to regret that brazen statement about myself!

Hey, that's good to know.  ;D  I also use SpamPal and think it does the best job on eliminating Spam.  :)

If Culpeper can't answer questions about it, maybe I can.   ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2003, 01:07:47 AM »
Hi, Your subject is anti-spam and your body states email-sorting software. I think you would understand that both does 2 different functions. Which are you really looking for ???

Anti-Spam / Email Sorting

Sunil (India)

As you talk about email sorting, did you know anything about Popfile?

The developer says: ever wish you had an assistant to sort your e-mail for you? Popfile classifies your e-mail automatically. After you've set it up and given it a little on-the-job training, it will work quietly to file your e-mail the way you want it. Not only is it a great way to get spam out of the way, it helps you prioritize your work and keep projects organized. Version: 0.20.0
Price: Free Download at:
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,23103,tk,hsx,00.asp

Thank you in advance for any other suggestion.
The best things in life are free.

Jarron

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2004, 08:37:03 PM »

As you talk about email sorting, did you know anything about Popfile?

Happy New Year Technical.

The short answer is no I don't know anything about Popfile.  However people smarter than me are daisy-chaining (I think that's the term) it with MailWasher.

If you're interested: http://www.computercops.biz/postlite4137-mailwasher+popfile.html

Jarron

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2004, 03:34:26 PM »
Hello everyone and Happy New Year !!!

Question for tehnical (or anybody else who is willing to answer):

I just wonder is there any other spam washer than Mailwasher out there, but the one that also can read (like Mailwasher does it) my Hotmail (WEB mail) e-mail account as well as any POP3 related mail account ? I liked IHateSpam for Outlook Express very much, but that one is unable to check web mail related accounts. Feature that I liked most of all, was program's integration into OE, so that way I didn't have to start another program each time before I start OE...

Any suggestions ?

Regards to all !

sunilcherian

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2004, 04:36:12 PM »
Has anybody tried Nelson Email Organiser ? If not try it. It is simply the best. No worry of training your software. You want you emails to be sorted Month Wise, Email Address Wise, Name Wise or just about anything. It has it all.

It is worth it. It is an email overload solution. Nothing else.

:D

Happy New Year..... Has anybody got a solution for free Email Hosting ??? Or even a Cheap One ??

Sunil

Culpeper

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2004, 07:15:18 PM »
Culpeper,

I'm the know-it-all for SpamPal  ::) I'm probably going to live to regret that brazen statement about myself!

Hey, that's good to know.  ;D  I also use SpamPal and think it does the best job on eliminating Spam.  :)

If Culpeper can't answer questions about it, maybe I can.   ;)

Ah, a fellow SpamPal supporter!  Life is good! ;D

bbfi

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2004, 11:16:26 PM »
Ah, a fellow SpamPal supporter!

SpamPal does the best job for me!  Tried quite a few programs too, but none do as well as SpamPal.

Life is good! ;D

Amen!  :D
« Last Edit: January 02, 2004, 11:18:06 PM by bbfi »