Author Topic: Resident PRotection  (Read 8954 times)

gress

Resident PRotection
« on: September 10, 2003, 04:40:56 PM »
I am unable to get XP to start the resident protection. I am the administrator and configured the resident protection to Standard. However, it will not stay and reverts to Disabled, no matter what I do. I also use a computer running Windows 98 SE and have had no problems with it. When I installed Avast, the Win98 computer automaticatically took care of setting up the resident protection when configured in the program. The XP computer will not load the server.

I am using Windows XP Pro, SP1 and installed Avast! version 4.0 Home Edition (Build June 2003-2(4.0.235)). The VPS file version is 0308-6, compilation date 09.09.2003. I am running an AMD Athlon 1250 MHz with 1.5GB RAM. I connect to the internet through a cable connection. I use Outlook Express and no other security software at this time. I have registered the program.

What do I need to do to get the protection to load automatically?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Resident PRotection
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2003, 03:56:36 AM »
1. You can desinstall avast, boot, install again.
or
2. Be sure that the following links are in your startup registry keys (or, at least, at your startup folder):
C:\<avast folder>\ashmaisv.exe
C:\<avast folder>\ashDisp.exe

You must have two services running in automactically mode:
avast! Antivirus - Manages and implements avast! antivirus services for this computer. This includes the resident protection, the virus chest and the scheduler.
and
avast! iAVS4 Control Service - Provides automatic updating for the avast! antivirus.

I hope this help...  ;)
The best things in life are free.

gress

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2003, 03:23:15 PM »
Thanks for the info. However, it didn't work. I uninstalled avast! completely and reinstalled. I then received an error message from 16 bit subscription:"aswMonVd.dll failed DLL installation." The choices were to Close or Ignore. I tried both (1 at a time). Neither had any effect and avast! was inoperative.

I then did a Repair on avast! through the Add/Remove menu. After a reboot, I received the following error from avast!: "You have upgraded your operating system. Current installation of avast! cannot run on this operating system. The avast! antivirus system needs to be reinstalled."

And there I am, recursing back to remove, reboot, repair, reboot, remove, reboot, repair.... and getting nowhere. I like avast! becaust it is fast, not too bulky and efficient - not like Norton, which does work. If you have any other ideas, please let me know.

BTW, I can get the avast! icon displayed on a reboot, but it has 0 processes running, yet TaskManager reports that ashDisp, ashMailsrv, and ashUpdatsrv are running. Go figure!

Gress

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2003, 01:39:30 PM »
I like avast! becaust it is fast, not too bulky and efficient - not like Norton, which does work. If you have any other ideas, please let me know.

First thing: have you ever - even sometime in the past  :'( - installed Norton in your computer? Do you have any other antivirus installed?

gress

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2003, 02:55:19 PM »
Yes, I had Norton installed. However, after uninstalling it, I ran JV16 Registry Cleaner and deleted every reference I could find to it. While I cannot be certain that it took out EVERY reference, I believe that it was cleaned. If there is something else I need to do, I have no problem using regedit.

Gress

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2003, 04:36:27 PM »
Go to the Control Panel, Administrative Tools and fire up the Services applet. Try to start the service called (surprisingly)  "avast! antivirus". Can it be started?

Also, check the avast logs, particularly the "Errors" category. To access them, right-click the avast tray icon and select "avast! Log viewer" (I don't recall the exact phrase)

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

gress

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2003, 04:40:51 PM »
Thanks, Vik. However, there is no entry for avast! in the services panel. This is one of the first things I checked since I assumed that it needed to be run as a service. I have no idea how to start it as a service when I have no entry in the services panel.

Any ideas?

Gress

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2003, 04:56:16 PM »
:o :o :o

Have you been installing avast under an Administrator account?
Did the installation run/finish smoothly?

This is wierd!

Anyways, so you have never updated to 4.1.260?

Vlk

gress

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2003, 04:59:12 PM »
Yes, I was the administrator when it was installed. Yes, the installation went smoothly, but did not automatically start upon reboot. And, yes, avast! updated itself while running - I started the program manually.

And, YES, this is WEIRD! :-))

Gress

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2003, 05:05:35 PM »
Do you have the file ashServ.exe in your avast directory?

And in the registry, under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services, do you have keys with names

aavmKer4
aswMon2
aswUpdSv
avast! Antivirus

?

Thanks
Vlk

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2003, 05:52:11 PM »
Please, read the forum DOS under XP / NAV http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=259;start=0

To get rid from Norton is one of the most difficult things in the earth.
avast! does the job!!!

gress

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2003, 08:22:20 PM »
Vik,

None of those keys are in the Services. ashServ is in the avast! directory and I used it plus ashMaisv to start the program manually. Nonetherless, no new keys are written to the registry.

Gress

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2003, 02:51:02 PM »
Hmm, Vlk, what's happening? Seems that avast! could not be installed!
Maybe NAV mess everything again  >:(