Author Topic: Resident Protection Disabled  (Read 8721 times)

carvama1

Resident Protection Disabled
« on: September 19, 2003, 06:37:53 AM »
I just downloaded Avast 4.1.268 (file 309.1) for use with my XP Pro SP1 system but the Resident Protection will not enable.
The blue icon in the taskbar with the lowercase a has a red crossed out circle.

When I click that icon I get the following error message:
The AAVM subsystem detected a RPC error.

Here are the contents of my AV event viewer:

9/18/2003   10:26:21 PM   avast!   Error   Client    90   AMDATHLON1800\Carol Lynne   AMDATHLON1800   aswChestInterface - Program error description: CChestListView::OnCreate() !m_strErrorWnd.IsEmpty().  
9/18/2003   10:26:05 PM   avast!   Error   Client    90   AMDATHLON1800\Carol Lynne   AMDATHLON1800   aswChestInterface - Program error description: CChestListView::LoadFiles() chestOpenList() failed: 2147422219.  
9/18/2003   10:26:05 PM   avast!   Error   Client    90   AMDATHLON1800\Carol Lynne   AMDATHLON1800   Error in aswChestC: chestOpenList Error 1753.  
9/18/2003   10:24:49 PM   avast!   Warning   Client    90   AMDATHLON1800\Carol Lynne   AMDATHLON1800   "Sign of ""EICAR Test-NOT virus!!"" has been found in ""I:\Virus Test EICAR\EICAR.COM"" file.  "
9/18/2003   10:18:58 PM   avast!   Warning   Client    90   AMDATHLON1800\Carol Lynne   AMDATHLON1800   "Sign of ""EICAR Test-NOT virus!!"" has been found in ""I:\Virus Test EICAR\EICAR.COM"" file.  "
9/18/2003   10:06:29 PM   avast!   Information   Client    90   AMDATHLON1800\Carol Lynne   AMDATHLON1800   ASWSIMPLE program run information: CaswSimplePos::LoadWindowMove() failed

My RPC service is running.

I wonder if it has to do with some service that I disabled but I can't see which that might be.

Any help in enabling resident protection will be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Resident Protection Disabled
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2003, 08:18:24 AM »
What happens if you try to start the avast! service manually? Go to the Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services, and try to start the service called "avast! Antivirus". Does it work? Do you really have the "Remote Procedure Call" service started? The "avast! Antivirus" service is dependent on RPC so it cannot start before RPC...

Thanks,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

carvama1

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2003, 09:07:54 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes my RPC service is really started.  I wouldn't lie to you. But being sure is safer then sorry, so I'll show you

As soon as I deactivate AVG and activate Avast, I'll try your suggestion of starting up the Avast service but I'd expect to get a similar error message.  I'll post back with the results.

carvama1

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2003, 09:33:27 AM »
Here we go, when I manually started the Avast service I got an error stating it could not start and error 5 Access Denied. I used MSCONFIG to disable/enable the startups and manually stopped the AVG service.

I am logged in as Administrator.

Below is that error message and the one from Avast.

Thanks for your help.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2003, 09:36:26 AM »
Access Denied?!?!?! What the heck...?

Please try to log on as Administrator (this particular account) and see if it helps. It shouldn't, but if it does I'm going to be angry... ;D
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

carvama1

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2003, 08:47:37 PM »
Don't worry VLK, you won't be angry, because I am logged in as administrator. The errors you saw were using the Admin account.

Are there any other services, other then RPC, that Avast has a dependency?  I can't see any.

One thing that I did different, although, this should make no difference, is that I did not install Avast in the default directory. I put it in a partition I set aside just for programs.

Avast scanned my system fine, as you may notice from the event viewer log.  It found the EICAR test file with no problem. But not having resident protection is a real difficulty.

By the way there is also a problem with the chest but I figure that is related to this RPC situation.

So what do you think is the problem? Should I uninstall and try again? Maybe something went wrong with my installation but I did have all my other programs, including AVG, turned off.

Anything else you need to know?

Thanks.

carvama1

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2003, 05:53:07 AM »
I redid everything to no avail!

Here is what I did:
1. Uninstalled Avast.
2. Rebooted
3. Removed all startup items
4. Rebooted
5. Closed all programs
6. Installed Avast from the original download
7. Scanned fine but still no resident protection.

When I attempted to start the services manually I got these errors:

iAVS4 control service -> Error 5 access denied
Avast AV -> Error 1068 The dependency service or group failed to start.

On the Avast AV service dependencies two services are listed: RPC and Avast Standard shield support.  The RPC is running but there is no sign of the other service, the Standar Shield Support. Should there be three services listed?

Please note that RPC is running. I have a utility, Diskeeper, that uses RPC and it's working fine.

I've now uninstalled Avent since I can't make it work.

I'll wait any further suggestions.

-----------
Here are my logs related to this in case they prove useful:

Avast logs
19.09.2003 21:37:54   AMDATHLON1800\Carol Lynne   2032   ASWSIMPLE program run information: CaswSimplePos::LoadWindowMove() failed.  

Program cannot use Chest client: (null)
--->Description: Virus chest server is not running. RPC communication failed.

Event Logs
Event Type:   Error
Event Source:   Service Control Manager
Event Category:   None
Event ID:   7001
Date:      9/19/2003
Time:      10:11:42 PM
User:      N/A
Computer:   AMDATHLON1800
Description:
The avast! Antivirus service depends on the avast! Standard Shield Support service which failed to start because of the following error:
Access is denied.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event ID:   7000
Time:      10:11:42 PM

Description:
The avast! Standard Shield Support service failed to start due to the following error:
Access is denied.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event ID:   7000
Time:      10:10:18 PM

Description:
The avast! iAVS4 Control Service service failed to start due to the following error:
Access is denied.

Event ID:   7001
Time:      10:06:02 PM

carvama1

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2003, 06:02:53 PM »
No new suggestions on how I can get Avast running on my PC? :'(

gaal

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2003, 08:40:29 PM »
I've had a similar problem. The service was stopped (or doesn't work) whithout a reason and in a ramdom way. Sometimes works (the most) sometimes not. When NO, then go to Start->Run->services.msc and stop and relaunch the Avast! antivirus service. Wait a couple of seconds and the icon in the system tray begins to spin.
I hope that be useful.

carvama1

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2003, 12:59:15 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion but that doesn't work for me.  When the services are started manually I get error messages as detailed above.

For some reason I just can't get the resident protection enabled and nobody, including me,seems to be able  to figure out why.

Thanks.