Author Topic: 4.1.268 problem  (Read 5428 times)

Dave50

4.1.268 problem
« on: September 20, 2003, 12:44:43 PM »
Clean installed 4.1.268 yesterday and avast! worked perfectly.  Turned on computer this morning and Resident Shield would not start -- RPC error -- could not find file.  I rebooted and avast! then worked.  This should not happen.

RPC is set to start automatically and I'm the only person on the computer.

As I reported yesterday, the only thing I noticed is while avast! says it's version 4.1.268, the System32 driver files show version 4.1.267.

I will try another clean install later today and see what happens.

Dave50

mantra

Re:4.1.268 problem
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2003, 04:48:38 PM »
did u try the alwil unisntaller?!?!

maybe u could use it to do a good clean!

techie101

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2003, 05:01:57 PM »
dave,

There have been many questions regarding RPC errors and Avast.  I can't seem to find the central thread, but if you do a search here for "rpc", you will come up with much information.
The Remote Procedure Call initiated by Windows may be indicative of other security issues you might need to address.
Microsoft Knowledge Base has additional information on this subject.
I would ask the Avast team or our Global Moderator VLK to provide some technical guidance here.

In the meantime, I will try to locate any relavant articles and send them to you.

:)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2003, 05:04:37 PM by techie101 »

Dave50

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2003, 05:40:36 PM »
Many thanks for the information and help.  I have all Windows XP critical and security updates installed and I'm using the XP firewall.  This is the first time I've ever encountered the RPC issue and subsequent computer boots have not reproduced the error.

I was planning on wiping my hard drive, reformatting and clean installing XP later today, with another clean install of avast 4.1.268.  Easy to do with an HP computer -- the operating system's on a hidden partition and it takes
11 minutes.

I don't know if there's any connection -- perhaps the avast! team can explore -- but several computer tech support reps are telling people NOT to install Windows Updates.  HP told me that and some Dell customers are reporting the same thing.  Apparently, there are a lot of conflicts with programs -- perhaps there's a conflict with avast! -- but then you run the risk of a security compromise.

I will report back later to the avast! team and let them know how my experiment turns out.  I like this product a lot and I'm going to do what ever is needed to make sure there are no more problems.

Sorry to be so long...

Dave50

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2003, 09:17:36 PM »
Your saying the error code was "File not found"?!? Just like that? No other info (e.g. what file or something)?!  That's very odd...

And what did the message look like? Was it an avast message, or a Windows message?

I also noticed you were complaining about slow shutdowns under WinXP -- please try the advise I gave to Walker here: http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1157
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Dave50

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2003, 09:40:59 PM »
Vlk -- I just finished wiping my hard drive, reformatting and clean installing Windows XP and avast! 4.1.268 and everything seems to be rock solid and steady.

Regarding the earlier RPC error -- it was a Windows message which only came up that one time.  I rebooted and all was well after that.

As for the slow shutdown, the Windows Update you cited in the other thread is responsible.  In fact, I've been told by several computer company technicians that many Windows Updates cause unusual problems.  While computer companies won't say it -- some of their reps are telling people NOT to install ANY Windows Updates.
They claim a good firewall and antivirus program (like avast!) will protect "most" people.  I don't know about that -- but leaving Windows Updates out (for now) seems to make everything run better.

Avast! is on the job with no problems at this time.

Thanks everyone for your help and avast! team -- great work...

Dave50

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2003, 10:45:30 PM »
They claim a good firewall and antivirus program (like avast!) will protect "most" people.  I don't know about that -- but leaving Windows Updates out (for now) seems to make everything run better.

I do not found any trouble in updates of Microsoft and avast 4.1.268...
I just know that RPC error was corrected in the lastest version.  8)
The best things in life are free.