Author Topic: manual update  (Read 12261 times)

pscraja

manual update
« on: October 09, 2003, 02:01:22 AM »
Since I had problem in automatic updating with the message "The package is broken", I have downloaded the following updates manually
"setif_av_pro-116.vpu" and "setup_av_pro-116.vpu"  and stored in setup folder of Avast.

When I double click the file, it doesn't get installed. Can you guide me how to install these files.

pscraja

kubecj

Re:manual update
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2003, 02:19:47 AM »
Go to avast's menu and select 'Update/Program update'.

techie101

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2003, 05:32:17 PM »
pscraja,

One thing to look for in the Setup folder is a Setif/Setup file 10c...
This can cause a problem when Avast attempts to download an update resulting in the "broken packet" or "chain" error.

Rename the 10c file and restart your computer.  If you have Avast set to automatically download database and program updates, it will take care of things on its' own, or you can follow Kubecj instructions and manually start the program download.

The files Setif and Setup are not really installed.  They are not exe files.  Avast accesses them to download the updates.

Take Care
Techie101
« Last Edit: October 12, 2003, 05:34:24 PM by techie101 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2003, 05:39:10 PM »
Rename the 10c file and restart your computer.

If it not succeed, try MoveOnBoot 1.95 to delete the files...  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Dovelady

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2003, 12:19:07 AM »
I also get the message 'this package is broken' but haven't manually installed any updates. Kubecj's reply to select 'Update/program update' gives the same message.

I found 'setup_av_pro_10c.vpu' in setup.  What am I supposed to rename it to?  This question sounds dumb, but I am new to Avast and don't want to make a mistake.

Technical's reply to try 'MoveOnBoot 1.95' to delete files:  which files get deleted?   ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2003, 12:37:50 AM »
Technical's reply to try 'MoveOnBoot 1.95' to delete files:  which files get deleted?   ???

If I'm not wrong, try the Context Menu of Windows Explorer: Right click on the file, choose Delete file on next boot, choose Yes. The file will be deleted on next boot.  ;)

nexus

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2003, 12:52:36 AM »
<SNIP>

Hi Dovelady,

As far as the broken packages I don't know how to help you out right now (sorry  :-[ ).

What Technical means is a nice Util, I used it yesterday to repair some other problem. This is what you would do with MoveOnBoot:

You would run it, in this case you would select that previously mentioned "Setif/Setup file 10c..." file... you would then tell MoveOnBoot where to store the file and (only) on the first next reboot of your system, you'd move that particular file, meaning that Avast! won't find it anymore in the Setup directory, meaning the rest of Techie101's solution can be tried...

In other words: it is a handy moval tool for files that might otherwise be blocked by running programs from any deletion action on your side. MoveOnBoot can be freely downloaded at http://www.webattack.com/get/moveonboot.html

Hope this will help (a bit)
nex

techie101

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2003, 01:09:59 AM »

I found 'setup_av_pro_10c.vpu' in setup.  What am I supposed to rename it to?  This question sounds dumb, but I am new to Avast and don't want to make a mistake.

Actually, you can rename it anything you like.  I renamed it 'OLDsetup_av_pro_10c.vpu'.   I do this in case I need to reuse it.  As it turned out, I ended up deleting it once I fixed the problem with the broken packet error.

I have not used MOVEONBOOT yet, but I will try Technical suggestion.  It might be a nice program to have around.

If you haven't done anything yet, just rename the 10c, leave the new setup and setif files where they are and run AVAST.   Set AVAST to download database and program automatically and leave it alone.  It will pick up the updates by itself.

Good luck.
Techie

Sorry it took so long for me to comment. I jump around on the forum, and try keeping up with all the posts is tiresome.   ;D
« Last Edit: October 14, 2003, 01:10:56 AM by techie101 »

Dovelady

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2003, 01:18:09 AM »
Thanks to Technical & Nexus for your replies.  I figure this setup file can be permanently deleted using the Move on Boot-it's expendable, right?  Kind of like a temporary file?  

I've been reading other threads in this forum, and I'm seeing quite a few people having the same problem as I am.  Does this happen often?  I started using the free Avast on Oct. 4, and I'm already having problems.     :'(

Dovelady

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2003, 01:24:29 AM »
Thanks to you, too, Techie, for your input.  I thought but was not sure that I could rename the file to "old...." but I like confirmation before trying any new strategy.  I don't need any more computer problems than I already have.

BTW, you 'jumped' here pretty fast.     :)

Dovelady

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2003, 02:13:40 AM »
One thing to look for in the Setup folder is a Setif/Setup file 10c...

I renamed that setup file to "old...and ran Avast again. I saw a newer version & that installed fine, so I now have 4.1.280.  I do have everything set for automatic, too and left the rest alone for Avast to handle.

I understand your above comment to mean that this particular 10c file is the culprit, and needs to be renamed for Avast to work correctly.  Am I correct in thinking that if I have this 'broken package' message again, that I'd have to rename this 10c file each & every time I got that message?

Thanks to all for your quick & courteous replies.  They are sincerely appreciated.   :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2003, 05:08:32 AM »
Am I correct in thinking that if I have this 'broken package' message again, that I'd have to rename this 10c file each & every time I got that message?

Thanks to all for your quick & courteous replies.  They are sincerely appreciated.   :)

Why don't you follow another way:
1. Download avast! 4.1.280
2. Desinstall your actual version of avast (Control Panel).
3. Boot
4. Use Avast Uninstall for complete desinstallation.
5. Boot
6. Install the downloaded 4.1.280 and see what happened.

I can't imagine this will not work because I did this some hours ago...  ::)

Dovelady

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2003, 05:29:13 AM »
Technical:

I updated Avast to 4.1.280 by clicking on the upgrade button and everything started downloading & automatically installing.  After reboot, it appears all is working correctly.  At least I don't get any more broken package errors now, which is good.  Thanks again for your help.

Dovelady

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2003, 07:54:22 AM »
That was a right way to fix the prob, dovelady.
Mere updating to the latest version (by selecting the Update Program option) should solve all the Broken Package problems...
(as discussed previously on this forum)
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.