Author Topic: Promlem with Zonealarm  (Read 30257 times)

doggeral

Re:Promlem with Zonealarm
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2003, 07:15:50 AM »
Here is one of the many threads on this issue.

http://forums.sygate.com/vb/showthread.php?s=323d29b96129ef8e8c5a05b12c75e19c&threadid=6397&highlight=local+proxy

If you have Internet Explorer setup to work with Proxomitron Sygate will ask about Proxomitron's connection to the internet, but not sygate's.   It just doesn't work.  I've worked with it myself and the developers and moderators have acknowledged that it doesn't work.   If you no longer use programs like Proxomitron or Webwasher where a local proxy is used it isn't an issue.   Overall its not that big of a deal, but microsoft has been bashed hard for a lot less and when working with the internet the only thing you can do is try to prevent problems you know about.  

I don't know why you stopped using proxomitron.    Though it is no longer supported by the developer because of the way it works you will always be able to filter what you need through filter updates which to this day are still being created.   And since you can create your own it just makes it so powerful.  If it was supposed to be intelligent that would be a different story, but it does what you tell it to do.

This is getting off topic, but you probably meant that link for B4349 and not me :) .   But I appreciate the acknowledgement anyway...
« Last Edit: November 15, 2003, 07:18:40 AM by doggeral »

B4349

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2003, 10:33:43 PM »
Sorry fellows, but I made easy solution to this problem and installed Kerio. Everything went ok and now its running like it should be.

Just can't understand what the h*** is wrong when ZA didn't like to work. If I sometime install os again will I try ZA for a last time, and if it won't work even then would I forget whole Zone labs and will tell everyone that don't mess with them..

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2003, 01:55:49 AM »
I also agree.  Just don't use Sygate if you use proxomitron or admuncher as it doesn't work properly with them.   If you can stomach kerio 2.1.5 you'd be in good shape, but it takes some getting use to.   Kerio 4 isn't very good IMO.  Tiny is OK.  Outpost is pretty good as well, but I can't remember what is disabled in the free version.   Good luck anyway.

Why did you say that Kerio 4 is not as good as Kerio 2.1.5 ?
I have downloaded 2.1.5 a long time ago (it was a Waldo´s suggestion) but I did not have time to try it (I use ZA...). Now I have just downloaded 4.0.7. For my surprise the number of the version increase a lot! But I still have the old version (not inslalled yet). What do you suggest?  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2003, 02:00:26 AM »
Sorry fellows, but I made easy solution to this problem and installed Kerio. Everything went ok and now its running like it should be.

Just can't understand what the h*** is wrong when ZA didn't like to work. If I sometime install os again will I try ZA for a last time, and if it won't work even then would I forget whole Zone labs and will tell everyone that don't mess with them..

What version of Kerio did you install?
Could you read the doggeral's suggestion for 2.1.5 version and not 4...  ;)

Thanks for your help. I'm having problems with avast! right now. I had to desinstall and install again... Maybe the trouble was ZA  >:(

B4349

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2003, 09:36:52 AM »
What version of Kerio did you install?
Could you read the doggeral's suggestion for 2.1.5 version and not 4...  ;)

I installed the latest version straight from Kerio's pages. Version is 4.0.7 and yes, I've read Doggeral's suggestion to get 2.1.5 but I thought it would be rather difficult to find so old version. Also would like to hear why that version is better than newer ones? As far as I can understand usually the newer versions are better, because by the time will be notified bugs that are repaired in newer versions. That can be seen very practically in Windows -if you purchase new windows product you'll have to prepare that by the time you have to download a bunch of updates where bugs are fixed.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2003, 03:53:38 PM »
The others have said it is still in a beta stage. Or it is in their opinion. download 2.1.5 from:

http://www.vnunet.com/Download/1131791
« Last Edit: November 16, 2003, 03:54:10 PM by MacLover2000 »
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

B4349

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2003, 06:40:25 PM »
Thanks maclover, maybe I have to download that older version too (for just in case..) while I'm waiting doggeral's argumentation of its superiority...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2003, 12:48:39 AM »
I desinstall ZA, boot, install Kerio 4.0.7.
Next boot I receive an error message (The service could not be connected or something like this).
avast! freeze (icon stop to swirl).
Now it's working...

I manually start the service and firewall seems to work.
I'll keep posting the results.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2003, 01:40:27 AM »
As this thread is about ZoneAlarm, I'll open another to write about Kerio 4.0.7, which brings me a headache today  >:(

See here.  >:(

doggeral

« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2003, 04:07:37 AM »
Thanks maclover, maybe I have to download that older version too (for just in case..) while I'm waiting doggeral's argumentation of its superiority...

Wow never had anyone wait on me before :)

But I need to preface this first.  I need to mention that I'm not yet on the bandwagon of "smart" firewalls yet, because I simply don't trust them to do anything but hide configuration from me.   I'm not saying this is right for everyone, but this one guy isn't ready to commit the resources to have firewall smartly manage my traffic.

As far as smart firewalls go Kerio 4 can be pretty dumb in some ways.   It introduced some issues that were not in 2.1.5, which I find disturbing.  It also at 1 point had some default rules that took priorty over everything thus further taking control away.

Not to mention the bugs.  Though it is out it just seems way way wayyyy to buggy right now.  

So my Kerio 2.15 plug is just because it generally takes longer for firewalls to go out of style than other things.   Kerio 2 with all issues is still more than adequate if configured right.  

Plus it will smarten you up on firewalls, which in itself is the ultimate protection against problems not mass worthless protection.

On a side note I wish applications would stick to what they do.  An antivirus should not have an integrated firewall and a firewall shouldn't start trying to deal with spam and spyware.   I say do 1 thing, but do it well and right.  

I guess i'm done.  

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2003, 02:24:31 AM »

Wow never had anyone wait on me before :)

But I need to preface this first.  I need to mention that I'm not yet on the bandwagon of "smart" firewalls yet, because I simply don't trust them to do anything but hide configuration from me.   I'm not saying this is right for everyone, but this one guy isn't ready to commit the resources to have firewall smartly manage my traffic.

As far as smart firewalls go Kerio 4 can be pretty dumb in some ways.   It introduced some issues that were not in 2.1.5, which I find disturbing.  It also at 1 point had some default rules that took priorty over everything thus further taking control away.

Not to mention the bugs.  Though it is out it just seems way way wayyyy to buggy right now.  

So my Kerio 2.15 plug is just because it generally takes longer for firewalls to go out of style than other things.   Kerio 2 with all issues is still more than adequate if configured right.  

Plus it will smarten you up on firewalls, which in itself is the ultimate protection against problems not mass worthless protection.

On a side note I wish applications would stick to what they do.  An antivirus should not have an integrated firewall and a firewall shouldn't start trying to deal with spam and spyware.   I say do 1 thing, but do it well and right.  

I guess i'm done.  

Thanks doggeral. I regreat not waiting for your posts and 'tryed' Kerio 4.0.7  :'( Anyway, I went back to ZoneAlarm. No user wants a bloatware all-in-one Systemworks like application that could not update in the future. A related forum is here  ;)

Hornus Continuum

« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2003, 01:12:52 AM »
B4349,

Throughout this discussion, several times you referred to disabling avast! and also to reinstalling Zone Alarm.  One thing you didn't mention is whether you disabled avast! before installing ZA.  I've haunted a lot of forums reading threads about installation problems, and one piece of sage advice is given almost every time: Always disable an AV product before installing software.  (This is especially true when doing soemthing "hell scary" like installing Windows updates.   :o  )  Reportedly, the low-level operations of an AV can interfere with some (poorly written ?) installation routines.

I don't know whether or not you disabled avast! first (or even if it would make a difference if you hadn't), but I thought it worth mentioning.  On occasion, I've forgotten to disable NAV prior to an installation and suffered no consequences, but from the hundreds of threads I've read, apparently I was lucky.  (I've heard it said that God looks after drunks and fools.   ::)  )

Regards,
Hornus

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2003, 07:41:46 PM »
B4349,

Throughout this discussion, several times you referred to disabling avast! and also to reinstalling Zone Alarm.  One thing you didn't mention is whether you disabled avast! before installing ZA.  I've haunted a lot of forums reading threads about installation problems, and one piece of sage advice is given almost every time: Always disable an AV product before installing software.  (This is especially true when doing soemthing "hell scary" like installing Windows updates.   :o  )  Reportedly, the low-level operations of an AV can interfere with some (poorly written ?) installation routines.

I don't know whether or not you disabled avast! first (or even if it would make a difference if you hadn't), but I thought it worth mentioning.  On occasion, I've forgotten to disable NAV prior to an installation and suffered no consequences, but from the hundreds of threads I've read, apparently I was lucky.  (I've heard it said that God looks after drunks and fools.   ::)  )

Regards,
Hornus

Thanks Hornus, but few days ago I reinstall avast! with ZoneAlarm installed and running and everything works fine. Few days ago, I have to do the opposite: I installed ZoneAlarm with avast! running. Ok, again.

Of course, NAV is out of my considerations right now. It usually does the worst job of every antivirus applications (conflicts, poor Windows Registry handling, trash, and so on).

I have no trouble installing Windows Updates with avast! running either  ;)

Anyway, the user always can disable the antivirus before installing software for sure  ;)