Author Topic: Not that impressed  (Read 10133 times)

Offline pcguy

Not that impressed
« on: June 29, 2003, 07:33:49 AM »
I am using the home version of the product and am not that impressed. I have a P///-660 with 512MB ram and Win2k.

1) Was doing a scan in the background while using IRC program. The scanning took up to 92% of my CPU at times.

2) As well the program informed me that there were numerous files that it could not scan because the archive was encrypted. Well the files in question were not archives but applications in the form of .EXE files!

3) I was going to post the names of some of these files but I gave up trying to find the logfile with this information in it.

???

IanG

Re:Not that impressed
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2003, 06:39:23 PM »
Was doing a scan in the background while using IRC program. The scanning took up to 92% of my CPU at times.
It sounds a lot, but was it giving you any problems? If the CPU's available the s/w might as well use it.
As well the program informed me that there were numerous files that it could not scan because the archive was encrypted. Well the files in question were not archives but applications in the form of .EXE files!
I've had this as well! Avast is able to read the file names within the archive, but it can't read the files themselves. Wrongly (IMHO) it only reports the names of the archived files and doesn't name the archive itself. If you have another look at the log (if you can find it   ;)) and check the file locations you might get a better idea of what's going on.  

Ian G.

Offline pcguy

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2003, 07:13:13 PM »
Was doing a scan in the background while using IRC program. The scanning took up to 92% of my CPU at times.
It sounds a lot, but was it giving you any problems? If the CPU's available the s/w might as well use it.

It was giving me horrible problems. It took an extremely long time to  switch between windows.

As well the program informed me that there were numerous files that it could not scan because the archive was encrypted. Well the files in question were not archives but applications in the form of .EXE files!

I've had this as well! Avast is able to read the file names within the archive, but it can't read the files themselves. Wrongly (IMHO) it only reports the names of the archived files and doesn't name the archive itself. If you have another look at the log (if you can find it   ;)) and check the file locations you might get a better idea of what's going on.  

Ian G.

The thing is that the EXE files were not in any sort of archives. They were simply applications that were sitting out in the open on my hard drive! I have no idea where the heck the program keeps the log file.  I thought that the log viewer would show some useful information but I  went through each and every item and none of the entries contained information about the detailed scan that was performed. It was as if the scan was never done!

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2003, 07:22:32 PM »
The Logs are stored in the (AVAST/DATA/)REPORT folder. Only if you enable  creating a Report. Right click on the simple interface.
MfG Ralf

Offline pcguy

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2003, 08:56:24 PM »
This is an example of the files in question:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\HitBox1.zip\administrator@hg1.hitbox[1].txt [E] Archive is password protected. (42056)
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\HitBox1.zip\sbRecovery.ini [E] Archive is password protected. (42056)
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\AlexaRelated.zip\RELATED.HTM [E] Archive is password protected. (42056)
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\AlexaRelated.zip\sbRecovery.ini [E] Archive is password protected. (42056)
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\HitsLink.zip\administrator@counter.hitslink[1].txt [E] Archive is password protected. (42056)

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\HitsLink.zip\sbRecovery.ini [E] Archive is password protected. (42056)

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\HitBox2.zip\administrator@ehg-bestbuy.hitbox[2].txt [E] Archive is password protected. (42056)
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\HitBox2.zip\sbRecovery.ini [E] Archive is password protected. (42056)

I had to do this scan again to obtain this information and again Avast brought my system to its knees after it was scanning for a while. I had to pause the scanning so that I could regain control over the system.
 :(

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2003, 09:24:05 PM »
Maybe i get it wrong, but whats wrong with that information Avast gave. The files inside the Zips can not be read, because they are Password protected.
MfG Ralf

Waldo

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2003, 09:37:05 PM »
The files you posted are password protected zip files (archives) produced by "SPYBOT" program. They are protected because they contain backups and signatures of malware software. NO scanner can look into this files. Otherwise to many fals alerts will happen.

This is normal & good behavior of AVAST!4.0

btw: about using 98% of resources, this could happen from time to time when scanning, especialy when Avast need to "unpack" archives, wich is CPU and memory consuming.

Don't say avast is not working correct, if your not backed up with some real facts.

Greets,

Waldo

« Last Edit: June 29, 2003, 09:40:50 PM by Waldo »

Offline pcguy

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2003, 10:11:34 PM »
Well what abou the following errors

C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.1_01\lib\jaws.jar\META-INF\MANIFEST.MF [E] ZIP archive is corrupted. (42125)
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.1_01\lib\jsse.jar\META-INF\MANIFEST.MF [E] ZIP archive is corrupted. (42125)

The thing that got me started off on the wrong foot with this software is that the results window makes it extremely difficult to read the exact filename since the window that the results appears in is not resizable.One has to resize the headings to see what the filename is then resize the headings to see what the error message is. I thought that I could look at the report instead. Well I looked high and low and could not find any report. I thought that the log viewer would be an appropriate place but no luck. I then discovered via this forum that one has to enable the reporting ability.

This is the first anti-virus program that I have used that does not by default enable the report generation and does not allow you to view the contents of a report a later date from within the program itself. Instead one has to save the report manually and view it with a text editior or am I missing a menu somewhere in the log viewer?

???

« Last Edit: June 29, 2003, 10:35:37 PM by pcguy »

Waldo

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2003, 10:19:01 PM »
well, for the Java files (i have them also) and they seem indeed corrupted. or
maybe AVAST can't unpack them ?

Let's see what the experts say on this one....

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2003, 06:42:19 PM »
well, for the Java files (i have them also) and they seem indeed corrupted. or
maybe AVAST can't unpack them ?

Let's see what the experts say on this one....

jaws.jar and jsse.jar files have ZIP internal structure. It seems, pcguy's files are corrupted - if he doesn't agree he can send me them :).

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2003, 08:50:53 AM »
I don't think it's just pcguy's files... I checked this java runtime files (even more versions) with Total Commander and WinRAR, and none of them was able to unpack (CRC error). Looks like these java packages are a little strange...