Author Topic: Mozilla mail, imap mailbox cannot resolve host  (Read 11509 times)

jpstubbs

Mozilla mail, imap mailbox cannot resolve host
« on: August 21, 2003, 04:49:20 PM »
I've tried to set up avast mail scanner to scan incoming mail from my imap mail account.  Here's the section of my ini file:

[MailScanner]
DefaultPopServer=mail.adelphia.net
DefaultSmtpServer=mail.adelphia.net
DefaultImapServer=imap.myrealbox.com
ShowTrayIcon=1
AutoSetProtection=0

in and out mail works fine for my adelphia mailbox and sending mail from myrealbox using the adelphia smtp server also works, but i cannot get the imap server to work correctly.

If i change the outgoing smtp server to smtp.myrealbox.com I get an avast timeout message accessing port 25 and messages are not sent.

If i configure mozilla to connect to 127.0.0.1 and append the imap server name to my username, mozilla cannot resolve the host address of 127.0.0.1

Is this a port problem?  i've scanned my open ports and port 25 is closed.  Should it be open?

Thanks

Jason
« Last Edit: August 21, 2003, 08:46:56 PM by jpstubbs »

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Mozilla mail, imap mailbox cannot resolve host
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2003, 10:06:27 AM »
If i configure mozilla to connect to 127.0.0.1 and append the imap server name to my username, mozilla cannot resolve the host address of 127.0.0.1
Do you use port 143 in your IMAP account ? Don't you use SSL ?

Is this a port problem?  i've scanned my open ports and port 25 is closed.  Should it be open?
When Mail scanner (ashMaiSv.exe) is started, ports 110, 25 and 143 should be open, but only for local access (through 127.0.0.1).

jpstubbs

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2003, 01:03:03 PM »
Do you use port 143 in your IMAP account ? Don't you use SSL ?
Yes, I do use SSL, so its port 993 that is used.  I tested this by adding ImapListen=127.0.0.1:993 to the ini file, but when I reconfigure mozilla and try to access mail, mozilla shows 'connecting to 127.0.0.1'  after a while, an avast dialog box pops up with 'Internet connection timed out. Continue waiting?'

When Mail scanner (ashMaiSv.exe) is started, ports 110, 25 and 143 should be open, but only for local access (through 127.0.0.1).
With the mail scanner running, I scanned the open ports and none of the 3 ports above were open.  I'm guessing this isnt an issue as the pop3 and smtp mail scanning works fine.  If i do have to open a port, I'm not quite sure how to do it.

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2003, 01:33:44 PM »
Yes, I do use SSL, so its port 993 that is used.  I tested this by adding ImapListen=127.0.0.1:993 to the ini file, but when I reconfigure mozilla and try to access mail, mozilla shows 'connecting to 127.0.0.1'  after a while, an avast dialog box pops up with 'Internet connection timed out. Continue waiting?'
The Mail scanner does not support SSL, so it will not work even if you change the port to 993.

With the mail scanner running, I scanned the open ports and none of the 3 ports above were open.  I'm guessing this isnt an issue as the pop3 and smtp mail scanning works fine.  If i do have to open a port, I'm not quite sure how to do it.
If the pop3 and smtp mail scanning works then I think it's not a problem. Your port monitor probably detects the ports not precisely as closed.

jpstubbs

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2003, 03:31:05 PM »
The Mail scanner does not support SSL, so it will not work even if you change the port to 993.
oK, I didnt know that. Shame :(  i've disabled SSL and changed to port 143.
If the pop3 and smtp mail scanning works then I think it's not a problem. Your port monitor probably detects the ports not precisely as closed.
yep, the port monitor I had was pretty basic (Famatech Advanced??!! port scanner), so I found another one that's much better (Foundstone Vision) that shows the ports are open  :)
The imap connection can now download email, but its still not getting scanned.  i've done a reboot, made sure ashMaiSv.exe was running then started mozilla mail, still no luck.

Any ideas?

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2003, 03:53:31 PM »
Try enabling "Show detailed info on performed action" in "Internet Mail" resident provider. Do you see a popup message when you open a mail ?

jpstubbs

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2003, 07:26:33 PM »
Try enabling "Show detailed info on performed action" in "Internet Mail" resident provider. Do you see a popup message when you open a mail ?

I've enabled this option and I don't get a popup message when mail comes into the imap mailbox.  Sending and receiving mail from the smtp and pop mailboxboxes produces a popup message each time.

I have the notes set up to insert a comment on all email, good or bad and I do not see a note attached to incoming imap emails.

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2003, 10:05:45 AM »
What version of Mozilla do you have ?

jpstubbs

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2003, 04:00:12 AM »
What version of Mozilla do you have ?

Here's the version info from the about dialog:

Mozilla 1.5a
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.5a) Gecko/20030718

jpstubbs

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2003, 01:09:13 PM »
Here's the version info from the about dialog:

Mozilla 1.5a
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.5a) Gecko/20030718

OK, not sure how, but something has happened recently that caused avast to start scanning the incoming imap mail.  I didnt do anything specific to cause it, but it may have been due to a pc reboot (even though i tried that originally) or possibly due to a mozilla app lockup that i had to force close.

However, it seems to be working well at the moment, so i'm not going to mess with it :)

If you feel there may be a compatability issue with avast and mozilla, i would be willing to assist with any tests you may want to run.

thanks for your assistance.

jpstubbs

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2003, 09:47:15 PM »
However, it seems to be working well at the moment, so i'm not going to mess with it :)

well, it lasted a little more than a day, but now the incoming imap mail scanner is not working again.  the only thing that i think has changed is the virus database was updated recently.  the only messages scanned were on the 27th and 28th.

A thought has just come to mind...with imap protocol only synchronizing the local messages with the server (the original messages remain on the server until they are purged), this means that the note added to the end of the message is only stored locally, so if the mailbox has to resync with the server, i think the messages will lose the avast note.  Is this correct?

if I move the messages from the inbox, they also loose the avast note, so I'm guessing that mozilla doesnt actually move the mail on the server and then download it again (which is sensible i guess...why download twice), i think it moves it locally then sends an appropriate message to the server to perform move and then during the next sync the local and server mailboxes match.

i'm not quite sure why the avast note is removed this way, but if any one can explain i'd be interested.

OK, so now I know I cant trust the avast note to inforn me of an incoming imap mail scan, so I've enabled the detailed info option to keep an eye on incoming mail.

BoaRd bRYce

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2003, 06:33:42 AM »
Dude, I think it's myrealbox.  I use them too and sometimes my stuff works and sometimes it doesn't.  It is doubtful that anything you change on your computer will do anything to help...

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2003, 12:17:05 PM »
A thought has just come to mind...with imap protocol only synchronizing the local messages with the server (the original messages remain on the server until they are purged), this means that the note added to the end of the message is only stored locally, so if the mailbox has to resync with the server, i think the messages will lose the avast note.  Is this correct?

You are right that the messages on the server doesn't contain avast notes. The notes are added on the track between server and Mozilla. But they should be added during each resync.

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2003, 04:54:17 PM »
If the message contains attachments, Mozilla Mail downloads first message text and then the attachments separately. Avast is not able to add a note to the message text in this case. It is even more complicated - the first time you open a message, it is downloaded as a whole and a note is added, but next times it is downloaded in parts and a note is not added.