avast! 2014: Upgrading from an older version of avast! Free Antivirus
How to upgrade from an older version of avast! Free Antivirus 8.x to avast! Free Antivirus 2014 ?
If your free registration of an older version of avast! Free Antivirus isn't expired on your computer, you don't need to apply for a new registration to proceed with the upgrade to avast! Free Antivirus 2014. Before you begin with the upgrade please ensure that:
- Any older version of avast! Free Antivirus 8.x is already installed on your computer.
- You are logged into Windows as an Administrator or as a user with administrator permissions (for instructions refer to the Windows help or documentation Microsoft's website, or contact your computer/network administrator),
- All other programs in Windows are closed and not running (for instructions refer to your vendor's documentation),
...to prevent avast! Free Antivirus 2014 from being incorrectly upgraded or aborted unexpectedly. When you are ready, proceed as follows:
- Right-click on the avast! orange ball icon in the system tray, select 'Update' from the menu and then click 'Program',
...or you can click 'Update now' when avast! Information popup tells you about availability of an update above the avast! orange ball icon in the system tray.
- If a dialog box offering a Soft Trial version of avast! Internet Security 2014 will appear, click the 'Update' button displayed in the "Essential update" section in order to proceed with upgrade to avast! Free Antivirus 2014.
Selecting the 'Update' option in the "Essential update + Internet Security" section switches avast! Free Antivirus to the Soft Trial version of avast! Internet Security 2014 - for more information please read the following article:
- The Update screen in the avast! user interface shows you then an overall progress of the Program update.
- When it's done, you will be asked to restart your computer. Click 'Yes' to reboot immediately.
- Once the computer is restarted, you might be asked whether or not you would like to install Google Chrome as your default browser and/or Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer. Please read enclosed Google Licensing Agreement for the details. Then click 'Continue' to complete the upgrade.
The latest version of avast! Free Antivirus 2014 will be then installed on your computer and ready to use. If you have not registered it yet during 30 days trial period after the initial installation, you need to register to get your free license to continue to use it and stay protected. For more information and detailed step-by-step instructions please read the following article:
avast! Free Antivirus 2014
avast! Free Antivirus 8.x
Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise
Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic / Home Premium / Business / Enterprise / Ultimate
Microsoft Windows XP Home / Professional / Media Center Edition