Avast 2016: Frequently Asked Questions - New Features
Avast 2016 - New Features FAQ
What are key new features in Avast 2016?
Avast 2016 introduces the following key features:
- Passwords manages your passwords and syncs data across your devices. The new tool checks your password security, stores passwords securely, and includes browser extensions for easier login and form filling. Additionally, it offers a password generator.
- SafeZone Browser replaces the old SafeZone to protect your online shopping and banking. Bank Mode isolates your browser session and protects from potential keyloggers or spyware.
- User interface has been revamped with more space for content and easier control.
- Feedback can be given directly via the user interface to report bugs, request features, or offer other suggestions more easily.
What is improved in Avast 2016?
Avast 2016 introduces improvements to the following key features:
- Avast Home Network Security now scans for even more kinds of vulnerabilities on your router and home network. More details are provided in the results.
- Avast Setup is quicker, easier and more intuitive.
- Avast Smart Scan now integrates the Antivirus, Software Updater, Browser Cleanup, Home Network Security, Cleanup, and Passwords into one. One scan shows you your security profile at a glance and offers fixes for any issues detected.
- Cleanup replaces GrimeFighter to clean your PC of junk and improve PC performance. It offers quicker scanning without a reboot, and now can scan your registry for obsolete programs.
What is the difference between the regular setup file and the online installer?
Starting from Avast 2016 two setup files for each antivirus product are available for download:
- Online installer (
avast_..._setup_online.exe) is a compact setup program with a file size of about 5 MB, which will download and install only the actual program components you need. The installation speed strongly depends on the Internet connection type and parameters. Online installer is recommended for one time installation.
- Standard installer (
avast_..._setup.exe) contains all files needed to quickly install all program components, and its file size is about 100 MB. Because some data, like the virus definitions database, can be outdated in this setup package, Avast 2016 will automatically download the latest updates once the installation is finished. Standard installer is recommended for multiple installations.
Is it necessary to uninstall a previous version of Avast Antivirus before installing Avast 2016?
If you have Avast 7.x or later, you do not need to uninstall your previous version, because Avast 2016 setup automatically detects and upgrades the existing installation.
If you have Avast 6.x or older, you should uninstall it first by using the Avast Uninstall Utility, and then install Avast 2016 by following these instructions:
How do I start using Passwords?
- Go to Passwords → Overview in top menu.
- Create your Main password.
- Click the links displayed to download Passwords plugin for your browser(s). Your browser(s) open automatically.
- Enable the plugin in your browser(s) by following the instructions displayed.
- Optionally, go to Settings (gear icon) → Passwords to set additional security options.
You are now ready to start using Passwords in your browsers.
How does SafeZone Browser protect my privacy?
SafeZone Browser gives you control of how websites monitor your web activities with Do Not Track, and keeps your browsing habits and data private if you share a computer or account. You can manually set what information you want to share with specific sites.
The browser automatically opens banking sites in Bank Mode, formerly known as Pay Mode. Bank Mode provides a virtual desktop that protects you from keyloggers and other potential malware or spyware. In Bank Mode you can be sure that your financial transactions are safe and your activities are not being tracked.
For more details please read the following article:
How can I run Smart Scan?
Smart Scan runs automatically after you install or upgrade any edition of Avast Antivirus. Smart Scan combines the Antivirus, Software Updater, Browser Cleanup, Home Network Security, Cleanup, and Password scans into one process. You can run Smart Scan at any time in the Avast program by going to Scan → Smart Scan.
How can I run a Home Security Network scan?
Home Network Security can be found in Scan → Scan for network threats. Click the Scan network button on the right to run the scan. If any issues are found, click More information and follow the suggestions to resolve the issues. Home Network Security is also included when you run Smart scan in Avast 2016.
How can I enable/disable Secure DNS protection?
Secure DNS is part of Active protection in Avast 2016. To enable or disable this feature, go to Settings (gear icon) → Active protection. Next to Secure DNS, click on the ON/OFF switch. If you are turning it off, you can choose whether to do so temporarily or permanently in the menu which appears.
- Avast Premier 2016
- Avast Internet Security 2016
- Avast Pro Antivirus 2016
- Avast Free Antivirus 2016
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic / Home Premium / Business / Enterprise / Ultimate
- Microsoft Windows XP SP3 Home / Professional / Media Center Edition