Avast Endpoint Protection: Installing Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express
How to install and configure Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express for Avast Enterprise Administration
Avast Endpoint Protection comes with a central web-based Avast Enterprise Administration which is based on a SQL database that serves as data storage for all the policies, security settings and client information. If you select to Use SQL Express option during the installation of Avast Enterprise Administration, it will automatically download, install and configure Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express on your machine. But you might need to install SQL Server separately to have, for example, advanced control over its setup configuration. In such a case you have to install SQL Server prior to Avast Enterprise Administration. This article will guide you through the process of standalone installation and configuration of Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express, so that you can use it together with Avast Enterprise Administration.
Before you begin to install Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express, ensure that:
- You are logged in to Windows with administrator permissions.
- All other programs in Windows are closed.
- Your previous antivirus software is fully uninstalled.
When all requirements are met, follow these steps:
- Download Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express with Tools from the Microsoft website and save it to your machine (
SQLEXPRWT_x64_ENU.exe for 64-bit editions of Windows,
SQLEXPRWT_x86_ENU.exe for 32-bit editions of Windows).
- Run the downloaded setup file
SQLEXPRWT_x86_ENU.exe if 32-bit Windows edition is used). If you are logged in as a user with administrator permissions, right-click on the setup file and choose Run as administrator from the context menu.
- From the menu on the left side of the SQL Server Installation Center screen select Planning and then click System Configuration Checker on the right.
- The System Configuration Checker verifies if your machine meets minimum system requirements to install Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express.
If an error or warning message is displayed, please check the prerequisites mentioned above or refer to Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 documentation on Microsoft website for further instructions to fix the issue:
- After verification, i.e. without any errors or warnings, select Installation from the menu on the left and then New installation or add features to an existing installation on the right. The setup checks your configuration again.
- On the License Terms screen, read the license agreement and tick the checkbox I accept the license terms. Click Next.
- When Setup Support Files are installed and the Feature selection screen appears, we recommend to leave all default features selected if possible, and click Next. (Or, at least select Database Engine Services with SQL Server Replication and Management Tools - Basic. Change the shared feature directory only if necessary.)
- On the Instance Configuration screen, select Default instance to automatically use
MSSQLSERVER for the instance of SQL Server in both the Named instance and Instance ID fields. Then click Next.
- On the Server Configuration screen, change the Account Name for SQL Server Database Engine to
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM, and change Startup Type for SQL Server Browser to Automatic. Click Next.
- On the Database Engine Configuration screen, select Mixed Mode (SQL Server authentication and Windows authentication) to enter and confirm a password for the SA account. Click Add... and specify the group that will have unrestricted access to SQL Server. (You should add at least Administrator.) Click Next and Next again to begin installation.
- After installation is complete click Close to exit SQL Server 2008 R2 Setup.
Restart your machine and then proceed with the installation of Avast Enterprise Administration.
When asked, choose Use full MS SQL Server to bypass automatic download and installation of Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express and to configure Avast Enterprise Administration with the existing SQL Server instance.
For details to install Avast Enterprise Administration please read the following article:
Additional configuration of Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express to allow remote connection with Avast Enterprise Administration
To connect Avast Enterprise Administration to Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express remotely from another machine, you must configure the following:
- Enable TCP/IP protocol in the network options of Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express (it is disabled by default):
- From the Windows Start menu select All Programs → Microsoft SQL 2008 R2 → Configuration Tools → SQL Server Configuration Manager.
- In SQL Server Configuration Manager expand SQL Server Network Configuration in the left pane and select Protocols for MSSQLSERVER.
- Right-click on TCP/IP protocol on the right and select Enable from the context menu.
- When complete, close the SQL Server Configuration Manager.
- Create exceptions in your firewall, if any is used, to allow access for SQL Server and SQL Browser. These services are located in the following folders by default:
For more instructions refer to your firewall vendor's documentation. If you use Windows Firewall, you may read the documentation on Microsoft's website:
- The SQL Server service:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.10\MSSQL\Binn\sqlservr.exe
- The SQL Browser service:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlbrowser.exe
You can then configure Avast Enterprise Administration during installation to connect with Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express remotely from another machine.
For detailed instructions to install Avast Enterprise Administration read the following article:
- Avast Small Office Administration 1.x
- Avast Enterprise Administration 7.x
- Avast Endpoint Protection
- Avast Endpoint Protection Plus
- Avast Endpoint Protection Suite
- Avast Endpoint Protection Suite Plus
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic / Home Premium / Business / Enterprise / Ultimate
- Microsoft Windows XP Home / Professional / Media Center Edition
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 (Any Edition, incl. Small Business Server)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 (Any Edition, incl. Small Business Server, except Server Core)
- Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2011