Avast Mobile Security: Getting Started
How to use Avast Mobile Security
Avast Mobile Security is a security app for Android designed to secure your device against unwanted phishing, malware, spyware, and malicious viruses such as trojans. The app also provides a range of features to make the use of your device easier.
To use Mobile Security, refer to the instructions in the following sections:
Navigate the Mobile Security interface
Tap the Avast Mobile Security icon on the main screen of your device to open the app.
The Mobile Security interface comprises of the Scan button, four tiles representing the main options and the menu button.
Each options consists of different information or actions that you can perform:
- Scan: scans all installed applications and informs you of security risks caused by changes to default Android settings.
- Boost RAM: kills apps running in the background and slowing down your device.
- Clean junk: displays the current percentage of used storage space on your device and enables you to safely free space. You are also offered to get even more space with the Avast Cleanup app.
- Check speed: verifies the speed of a Wi-Fi network that you are connected to.
- Lock apps: enables you to create a PIN to protect your device apps.
Main screen of the app also displays the menu icon in the top-left corner. The menu provides access to a range of privacy protection and device management tools, enables you to log into your Avast Account, and gives you access to the app settings.
Purchase and activate Avast Mobile Security Pro
Avast Mobile Security is available as both a Free and Pro version. Upgrading to Pro allows you to lock an unlimited number of apps with the App Locking feature, disable third party ads, use additional Anti-Theft features to capture a photo of the thief when incorrect PIN is entered, lock your device when SIM card is changed and secretly record the phone's surroundings at any time. Avast Mobile Security Pro also ensures prioritized responses to your support inquiries.
For instruction about upgrade, read the following article:
Scan your device for security threats and schedule scans
The Scan button enables you to scan your installed apps and memory card contents for security issues. The scan also detects security risks caused by changes to default Android settings.
Follow these steps:
- Tap the Scan button.
When the scan is complete, Scan reports any issues that it finds or advises that your device is safe.
- Tap Resolve to deal with any security issues found on your device.
If no issues are found, Scan provides you with tips for further optimizing your device.
- Tap the menu icon and go to Settings.
- Tap Protection to open a list of protection settings.
- Tap Scheduled scan to set regular scans.
- Turn on the Scheduled scan button, and select the time and day(s) of the week when you want the regular scan to run.
- Tap the back arrow to confirm the settings of your scheduled scan and return to your protection settings.
Configure your protection settings
- Turn the following shields on or off :
- App Install Shield: prevents you from downloading malicious apps onto your device.
- Web Shield: prevents you from accessing fake sites online.
To ensure maximum protection, all shields are enabled by default.
- Turn the following protection options on or off :
- Internal storage scanning: enables the app to scan the internal storage of your device, including your photos, media files, and installed apps, for threats. This option is disabled by default.
- Low reputation apps: enables the app to detect and warn you about apps with low reputations. The reputations of apps are determined according to feedback from Avast users.
- PUP detection: enables the app to protect you from Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) which are programs that are stealthily downloaded when you download other programs. PUPs usually clutter your device with unwanted activity, such as toolbars and ads that interrupt you while browsing online.
- Tap the back arrow to exit your protection settings.
Kill the apps running in the background
The Boost RAM option allows Avast Mobile Security to kill apps running the background to prevent these apps from slowing down your device and draining the battery.
Tap the Boost RAM tile to kill the apps.
Manage your storage space
The Clean junk tile displays the current percentage of used storage space on your device and enables you to reduce the amount of occupied storage space with the Safe Clean option and via the Avast Cleanup app.
Follow these steps:
- Tap the Clean junk tile.
- Tap Safe Clean to safely remove unnecessary files from your device.
- Tap Install Cleanup to install the Cleanup app that offers more cleaning options.
In the Cleanup app, you can remove unnecessary files, media, apps, and app data to provide you with more storage space on your device. You can also transfer files and media to a cloud storage service. For more information about Cleanup, refer to the following article:
Verify the speed of a connected Wi-Fi network
The Check speed tile enables you to verify the speed of a Wi-Fi network that you are currently connected to.
Follow these steps:
- Tap Check speed to test the speed of your Wi-Fi network.
The app advises you of the Download and Upload speed of the connected Wi-Fi network.
PIN protect your important apps
App Locking is a paid feature that enables you to set a PIN for your apps. Each time you want to open a protected app, you are required to provide the PIN.
To use App Locking, follow these steps:
- Tap the Lock apps tile to run the App Locking feature.
- If you have not already granted the Usage Access Permission to Mobile Security, tap Go to Settings. Then enable the permission in the Security Settings to continue.
- Tap Create PIN.
- Select an account for PIN reset and tap OK to confirm.
- Create a PIN and type it again to confirm.
- Turn on App Locking.
- Turn on the App Locking option for the apps that you want to protect.
To change your PIN at any time, go to Settings ▸ PIN & pattern ▸ Change PIN.
Track your phone with Anti-Theft
Anti-Theft is a feature designed to protect your private mobile data and help you recover your phone in case of loss or theft.
- Tap the menu icon and select Anti-Theft to access this feature.
- Follow the steps in the following article to start using this feature.
PIN protect your photos
Photo Vault allows you to protect access to your photos with a PIN code. After moving photos to the Vault, they are encrypted and hidden.
To add a photo to the Photo Vault, follow these steps:
- Tap the menu icon and select Photo Vault to access this feature.
- Tap the plus icon and select one of the available options:
- Take a new photo: allows you to take photos directly from the Vault.
- Import from gallery: allows you to select photos from your existing gallery.
Block unwanted calls
With Call Blocker, you can filter voice calls based on blacklisted phone numbers that can include all unknown numbers, hidden numbers, manually added numbers, and numbers from your contact list. When a call is blocked, the caller is automatically redirected to voice mail.
To block calls, follow these steps:
- Tap the menu icon and select Call Blocker.
- Tap the add icon, and on the next screen, select the type of number(s) that you want to blacklist (for example, tap All unknown numbers, or tap Enter number to specify a phone number manually).
Calls that are blocked by Call Blocker are visible under the History tab on the main screen of Call Blocker.
Check the permissions of your apps
In App Permission, you can view a list of the installed apps on your device. When you tap an app from the list, details of the Ad Networks and App Permissions that the app requires open.
To use this feature, follow these steps:
- Tap the menu icon and select App Permissions.
- Select the app that you want to check.
App Permissions displays the App Permissions and Ad Networks that the selected app requires.
App Permissions also enables you to uninstall a non-system app by tapping Uninstall, or open more information about an app by tapping App Info.
Manage internet access for installed apps with the Firewall (rooted devices only)
The Firewall feature enables you to manage internet access for installed apps.
Follow these steps:
- Tap the menu icon and select Firewall.
- Turn on the Firewall button, and tap Grant to give the feature access to your device.
- Select the apps that you want to block, and select from the following options:
- Block all: to completely block the app regardless of the connection type.
- Block mobile data: to block the app only when the device is not connected to a Wi-Fi network.
On some devices, the Firewall may not work if the Android mobile data limit is enabled. To resolve this issue, tap the Settings icon, and turn on the Take highest priority option.
only works on rooted
devices. In case you are using ROM with a modified Linux core, ensure that iptables are supported. Alternatively, recompile the kernel with this feature supported. All the applied rules are logged when the user has enabled logging. The log is reset each time a rule change is applied.
Configure your Mobile Security settings
In the Settings section of the app, you can adjust the configuration of Mobile Security to meet your needs. Follow these steps:
- Tap the menu icon and scroll down to Settings .
- Tap an option to perform further actions:
- Notifications: set the types of notifications that you want to receive from the app. All notifications are turned on by default. The Permanent notification is necessary for the app to provide you with complete protection.
- Charging screen help your device recharge faster by killing all background tasks.
- Protection: schedule automatic scans and turn on additional protection settings.
- Disable ads (Pro only): remove the third party ads by upgrading your app to the Pro version.
- PIN & pattern (Free and Pro): set or change your App Locking PIN/pattern. You can also upgrade your app to the Pro version to get access to the unlimited version of App Locking.
- Updates: check the current Virus definitions version. By default, virus definitions are updated whenever you have internet access. To preserve mobile data, turn on the Update over Wi-Fi only option so that updates only occur when you are connected to a Wi-Fi network.
- Activity Log: view a list of recent activities performed by the app, such as updates and scans.
- Community: set your preferences for sharing anonymized information that helps us understand your needs and improve our product accordingly.
- Avast Account: manage your licenses and devices remotely via the Avast Account.
- About: view information about the app such as the End User License Agreement.
- Avast Mobile Security 6.x
- Android 4.1 (API 16 and higher)