Support: Troubleshooting a PC crash or blue screen error (BSOD)
How to troubleshoot a PC crash or BSOD
In some cases, Avast software products may conflict with third party software installed on your PC, causing Windows to crash, freeze, or show a blue screen error (BSOD). This issue may be due to programs you run manually or background services which run silently when you start Windows.
To determine if the problem is caused by background services, follow these steps:
- Reboot your PC and start Windows in safe mode according to the instructions in the following article:
- When Windows is running in safe mode, simultaneously press the Win and R keys on your keyboard to open the Run dialog box.
- In the Open field, type the command
msconfig.exe and click OK to open the System Configuration utility.
- Click the General tab and select the Diagnostic startup option to clear all startup programs.
- Click the Services tab and tick the checkboxes related to your Avast Antivirus services:
- Avast Premier or Avast Internet Security: tick
Avast Antivirus and
- Avast Pro Antivirus or Avast Free Antivirus: tick
- Return to the General tab where Selective startup is now selected, click OK and restart your PC when prompted.
If your PC starts working normally again, the problem is due to a conflict with another program or service running silently in the background. Report the issue to Avast Support. For more information, refer to the following article:
To configure Windows to restart in Normal startup mode, run the System Configuration utility and select Normal startup under the General tab.
- All available Avast software
- All supported operating systems