Support: Compressing files to send to Avast support
How to compress files to send to Avast support
When troubleshooting issues related to Avast Antivirus software with the Avast support team, you may be requested to compress (or zip) certain files before sending them to us for further analysis. Zipped files consume much less storage space which makes them easier to send via the internet. Refer to the quick or detailed steps in this article for guidance.
If you are compressing files containing malware samples
or suspicious files
to send to the Avast Virus lab for analysis, refer to the instructions in the following article. Such files require password-protection:
Follow these steps to compress (or zip) a file:
- Open File Explorer on your desktop.
- Select and right-click the file that you want to compress.
- Select Send to, then select Compressed (zipped) folder.
The selected files are compressed to a new .zip file which you can find in the same folder location as the original files.
If you need to compress a file before sending it to Avast support for further analysis, follow these steps:
- Open File Explorer on your desktop and navigate to the location of the file you need to compress.
- Select and right-click the file and select Send to.
If necessary, you can select and zip more than one file (or folder) at once.
- Select Compressed (zipped) folder to compress the selected file.
The selected file is compressed to a new .zip folder which you can find in the same location as the original files. Send the zipped folder to Avast support and wait for further instructions.
- All Avast Antivirus software
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic / Home Premium / Business / Enterprise / Ultimate
- Microsoft Windows XP Home / Professional / Media Center Edition