Avast Antivirus: Scheduling Boot-Time Scan from Windows in Safe Mode
How to Schedule a Boot-Time Scan from Microsoft Windows in Safe Mode
If malware prevents Avast from scheduling a boot-time scan in normal mode, you can schedule a boot-time scan in safe mode using the Boot time scan scheduler from the command line.
If the Avast user interface is running on Windows in normal mode, schedule the scan directly from the interface. See the following article for more information:
To schedule a boot-time scan from Windows in safe mode, follow these steps:
- Reboot your computer and start Windows in Safe Mode with Command Prompt according to the instructions on the relevant Windows or third party support pages:
- In the Command Prompt window, type the
CD command and the location of your Avast installation file (
c:\program files\avast software\avast by default)... then press Enter.
If typing the default location does not work, you may have saved your Avast installation file to a different location. Type the
CD command followed by the location where your Avast installation file is saved, and press Enter.
- Type the
sched /A:* or
sched.exe /A:* command, then press Enter to schedule a default boot-time scan of all local drives on your system.
To view all command line options, type
sched.exe, then press Enter.
- When the Command Prompt dialog indicates that the boot-time scan is scheduled, re-boot your computer to run the boot-time scan.
To re-boot your computer using a command prompt, type
shutdown /r, then press Enter.
- After your computer restarts, a Boot-time scan progress screen appears as Windows begins loading. If you want to skip the scan, press the Esc key on your keyboard.
- If a threat is detected, Avast asks you which action you want to take. Type the number of the option that you want to select and press Enter.
When the scan is completed or skipped, Windows continues the boot up.
- Avast Premier 12.x
- Avast Internet Security 12.x
- Avast Pro Antivirus 12.x
- Avast Free Antivirus 12.x
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic / Home Premium / Business / Enterprise / Ultimate
- Microsoft Windows XP Home / Professional / Media Center Edition