Avast Antivirus: Creating scan reports
How to generate a report file for virus scans
You can set Avast Antivirus to generate scan report files after you run scans. Scan reports can be useful to identify a false positive or locate malware, and you may be requested to provide a report file when troubleshooting issues with Avast Support representatives. These reports will be included when you create a support file. The report file needs to be enabled for each scan individually.
To create a scan report, follow the steps in each section below:
Access scan settings
Open the Avast user interface to access scan settings:
Configure reported items
Next, configure reported items:
- In the scan settings window, click the Report file tab.
- Tick the box next to Generate report file to create a report of the scan results.
- Manage the following settings:
- File name: provide a name for the report file.
- File type: select the format of the report file - plain text ANSI, plain text Unicode, or XML.
- If file exists: select Append if you want new results to be added to the end of the previous report, or Overwrite if you want new results to replace the previous report.
- Define the contents of the report:
- Infected items: files and areas of the scanned environment which are identified as containing malware. This option is ticked by default.
- Hard errors: unexpected errors which require further investigation. This option is ticked by default.
- Soft errors: minor errors such as a file being unable to be scanned because it was in use.
- OK items: files and areas which were identified as being clean. Ticking this option results in very long reports.
- Skipped items: files and areas which the scan did not check because of the scan settings.
- Click OK.
Run a scan and locate a report file
- After enabling the Generate report file option and managing the scan settings and report contents, run the scan to generate a report file:
- For Smart scan, use the instructions in the following article:
- For Full Virus Scan, go to Protection → Antivirus and click the Run File Virus Scan tile.
- For all other on-demand scans, go to Protection → Antivirus → Other scans, and click your preferred scan tile. For more details, refer to the following article:
- Locate the report file in the following locations:
- Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista: C:\ProgramData\Avast Software\Avast\report
- Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Avast Software\Avast\report
Submit a support file
When you have created the report, it will be included in the diagnostic support file which is created using the Avast Support Tool.
Download the Avast Support Tool using the instructions in the following article:
- Avast Premier 17.x
- Avast Internet Security 17.x
- Avast Pro Antivirus 17.x
- Avast Free Antivirus 17.x
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic / Home Premium / Business / Enterprise / Ultimate
- Microsoft Windows XP Home / Professional / Media Center Edition