Avast Antivirus: Troubleshooting when the 'Package Broken' or 'Not a Valid Win32 Application' error appears
How to resolve the 'Package Broken' or 'Not a Valid Win32 Application' error
When trying to run Avast Antivirus installation, the error Package Broken or Not a Valid Win32 Application appears because of an incomplete download. The best solution is to try to download the setup file again.
If the same error appears, check the integrity of the Avast Antivirus setup file you downloaded with the MD5 & SHA-1 Checksum Utility, to find out if your file download is corrupted.
For more information about the MD5 read the following article on Wikipedia:
To verify that you have downloaded the whole Avast Antivirus setup file which is not corrupted, follow these steps:
- Download your Avast Antivirus setup file from the following links:
Avast Premier | Avast Internet Security | Avast Pro Antivirus | Avast Free Antivirus | Avast Uninstall Utility
...and save it to your PC in a location where you will easily be able to locate it, for example on your Windows Desktop.
- Once you have downloaded your setup file, you can compare its MD5 hash with the correct one using a third party MD5 checksum utility, for example:
Checking file integrity:
- Run the MD5 & SHA-1 Checksum Utility.
- Click the Browse button on the right,
...and open the Avast Antivirus setup file which you have downloaded.
- Copy the appropriate MD5 hash from the following table which shows the correct MD5 hash of each setup file verified on our server:
|Avast Premier 17.x
|Avast Internet Security 17.x
|Avast Pro Antivirus 17.x
|Avast Free Antivirus 17.x
|Avast Uninstall Utility
...paste it to the Hash field and click the Verify button.
- If a pop-up message indicates that the MD5 hash matches, then you have successfully downloaded the whole setup file and you can begin the installation of Avast Antivirus:
Otherwise, if the pop-up message indicates that the MD5 hash does not match, then download your Avast Antivirus setup file once again or try to download it on another PC.
- Avast Premier 17.x
- Avast Internet Security 17.x
- Avast Pro Antivirus 17.x
- Avast Free Antivirus 17.x
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic / Home Premium / Business / Enterprise / Ultimate
- Microsoft Windows XP Home / Professional / Media Center Edition