Avast Antivirus: Software Updater - Getting Started
How to use Software Updater
Software Updater helps keep commonly used third party software up to date to eliminate potential security risks. Malicious threats or attackers often use leaks in outdated software to access your PC. This feature displays the most popular programs installed on your PC and allows you to easily update them.
Software Updater in Avast Premier allows you to configure automatic updates for your applications.
Refer to the sections in this article for instructions to use Software Updater:
Update software manually
To update your software manually, follow these steps:
- Open the Avast user interface and select Protection → Software Updater.
- From outdated software list, select one or more applications that you want to update and click the Update selected button above the list.
If Avast is unable to directly download and install an update, you are redirected to the vendor's website or another appropriate site to download the update.
Turn on automatic updates (Avast Premier only)
To enable Automatic updates in Avast Premier, follow these steps:
Next to Automatic updates, click the OFF slider so that it changes to ON.
This action enables Avast to automatically download and install updates.
This feature is available only in Avast Premier. For all other versions, you will be asked to upgrade to Avast Premier at first.
Manage individual applications
To check details of the application that requires an update, ignore updates and update individual applications, follow these steps:
Click the down arrow to expand the panel of an application and perform the following actions, if needed:
- Verify the vendor details, current version and a new version of the application, if available.
- Click Ignore updates to exclude the application from updates.
- Click Update to update the application.
We strongly recommend you do not enable the Ignore updates setting, as outdated software is highly vulnerable to hacker attacks.
Manage Software Updater settings
The Software Updater settings screen allows you to enable or disable Software Updater, displays a list of settings that you can customize depending on your version of Avast Antivirus, and gives you the option to reset the Software Updater database.
Follow these steps to access and modify the settings:
- Open the Avast user interface and select Settings.
- Select Components and click Customize next to Software Updater.
- Tick the box next to Enable Software Updater to keep your third party applications up to date. This option enables you to manage further settings.
- Customize the following options:
- Allow update of system-wide products for administrators only: tick to only authorize administrators to update system-wide products via Software Updater. System-wide products are third party applications that are available for all users (or accounts) that use the same PC. In most cases, administrator privileges are needed to install, remove or modify these products. Unticking this option enables non-admin users (secondary accounts logged into your PC) to also update these applications using Software Updater. This option is disabled by default.
- Automatically download updates if possible (paid versions of Avast Antivirus only): tick to allow Software Updater to automatically download available updates for your third party software to save your time. Because automatic downloads happen when a system is idle, the impact on your online activity is minimized. This option is enabled by default.
- Automatically update if possible (Avast Premier only): tick to allow Software Updater to automatically install downloaded updates for your third party software. Automatic installations happen in the background and no action is required from you. This option requires you to firstly enable the Automatically download updates if possible option above. You can also perform the same action by going to the Protection ▸ Software Updater screen and clicking Automatic updates. This option is disabled by default.
- Notifications (popups) enabled: tick if you want to be notified when a software update is available or when an update is completed. This option is enabled by default.
- After making any changes, click OK.
Troubleshoot update issues
If Software Updater does not recognize an update or if you experience any other Software Updater issue, follow these troubleshooting steps:
- Click Refresh in the top-right corner of the main screen of Software Updater to update information about the displayed application's status.
- Go to Settings ▸ Components and click Customize next to Software Updater.
- Click the down arrow to expand the Database reset (troubleshooting) panel, and click the Reset database now button.
You can disable Software Updater
from Settings ▸ Components
. Next to Software Updater, click the ON
slider, so that it changes to OFF
- Avast Premier 17.x
- Avast Internet Security 17.x
- Avast Pro Antivirus 17.x
- Avast Free Antivirus 17.x
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro /Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic / Home Premium / Business / Enterprise / Ultimate
- Microsoft Windows XP Home / Professional / Media Center Edition