Avast Antivirus: Resolving an Unprotected Status or Inactive Firewall
How to Resolve an Unprotected State or Inactive Firewall
Avast Antivirus may issue a notification if one of the following problems occurs:
- Your state is unprotected: applies to Avast Internet Security, Premier, Pro Antivirus, or Free Antivirus.
- Your Firewall is turned off: applies to Avast Internet Security or Premier.
If you experience either of these issues, ensure that your license is active. For more information, read the following articles for your version of Avast Antivirus:
If your Avast Antivirus is active and the issue persists, repair and update Avast, or reinstall it, if necessary. For more information, refer to the following topics:
Repair and update Avast
- Complete the instructions in the following article to repair and update your version of Avast:
- After the repair, ensure that you have the most recent version of Avast. For more information, see the following article:
- Restart your computer and check that the issue is resolved. If your system is still not protected or your firewall is still not working, try to reinstall Avast (the alternative method).
- Uninstall your current version of Avast using the Uninstall Utility. For more information, see the following article:
- Restart your computer and ensure that no ALWIL or AVAST Software is located in
C:\Program Files. If you do find any Alwil or Avast files in this location, delete the files.
- Install your edition of Avast and restart your computer. For more information, see the articles below:
- If you did not activate the product during installation, you can do so in Avast Settings. For more details, see the articles below:
Your installation of Avast is now protected and, if applicable, your firewall is working.
- Avast Premier 12.x
- Avast Internet Security 12.x
- Avast Pro Antivirus 12.x
- Avast Free Antivirus 12.x
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro /Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic / Home Premium / Business / Enterprise / Ultimate
- Microsoft Windows XP Home / Professional / Media Center Edition)