Avast Antivirus: Passwords - Getting Started
How to set up and use Avast Passwords
This article describes configuration of Avast Passwords installed on computers with Avast Antivirus. If you want to configure Avast Passwords on mobile devices, please read the following article:
Instructions for configuration of Avast Passwords in Avast Antivirus can be found in the following sections:
Checking security and setting up
Before you start using Passwords an initial configuration is needed:
- Start by opening your Avast user interface and select Passwords → Overview.
- Click Check my passwords to scan the information stored in your browser and learn more about the security of your passwords.
- Click Activate for free to set up Passwords...
- An overview appears. Click Continue.
- Create your Main Password to protect your password vault.
- Install browser extensions to use Passwords autofill for online services. Click Install extension next to each browser and follow the instructions which follow. Then click Continue.
- Tick the box if you want to remove passwords stored in your browser. They have been automatically imported to Passwords. Click Start Using Avast Passwords.
Improving your security score
Your security score is based on four criteria:
- Stored in browser - Your security score is lower if you store passwords in your browser.
- Duplicate passwords - Your security score is lower if you reuse passwords on multiple sites.
- Weak passwords - Your security score is lower if you use very short or common (easy to guess) passwords.
- Compromised passwords - Your security score is lower if you have not changed your password yet for websites which have been compromised.
- You can view your overall security score from the Avast user interface when you select Passwords → Overview.
- Click one of the scored sections to view which passwords need improvement. From the next screen you can make the necessary changes.
- Improve your security score by removing passwords saved in your browsers, eliminating duplicate passwords, creating more secure passwords, and resetting passwords for sites which have been compromised.
Using password generator
A quick and easy way to create a secure password is to use the password generator.
- When you visit a page which has a login or account creation form, a small Passwords icon appears in the password field. Click this icon for options.
- Click Create a new strong password and Avast will generate a secure password for you.
- Click the eye icon to view the password. Click OK to use the password and add it to your password vault automatically. Or, to generate another password, click Create a new strong password again.
When your data is stored, you can use the autofill option to populate login forms on websites.
- Autofill can be enabled or disabled for any website when you click the Passwords icon in the top right corner of your browser window.
- When enabled, stored login data is automatically filled in when you open the web page.
- Click the Passwords icon in your browser to view options. You can enable or disable Autofill on this web site and Prompt to save passwords by clicking the on/off switch next to each option.
- Click Settings to view more Passwords settings in Avast. This screen can also be accessed via the Avast user interface at Settings → Passwords.
- You can change settings for Security, Synchronization, Browser integration, and Import passwords.
For detailed instructions to sync your password data, please read the following article:
- Avast Passwords
- Avast Premier 12.x
- Avast Internet Security 12.x
- Avast Pro Antivirus 12.x
- Avast Free Antivirus 12.x
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro /Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic / Home Premium / Business / Enterprise / Ultimate
- Microsoft Windows XP Home / Professional / Media Center Edition