Avast Cleanup Pro for Mac: FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions
Purchase and installation
How do I install Cleanup Pro?
Follow these steps to install Avast Cleanup Pro from the Avast website:
- Download and run the Avast Cleanup Pro setup file.
- Double-click the Install Avast Cleanup Pro icon in the dialog which appears.
- Follow the on-screen setup instructions.
- Enter your system credentials, then click Install Software.
- Click Close.
The Cleanup Pro interface opens automatically after you successfully install the program.
For detailed installation instructions, read the following article:
How do I activate Cleanup Pro?
Avast Cleanup Pro is automatically activated after purchase. However, if you are re-installing Cleanup Pro, or installing Cleanup Pro on another Mac, you need to enter the activation code sent in the order confirmation email after purchase. Follow these steps:
- Click the Avast Cleanup Pro icon on the menu bar to open the program.
- Click Avast Cleanup Pro on the menu bar and select Subscription from the application menu.
- Open the order confirmation email sent to you after you purchased Cleanup Pro and copy the activation code.
- Paste or type the activation code into the text box.
How do I purchase Cleanup Pro?
You can download and install Avast Cleanup Pro from the Avast website. You can perform an initial scan, then click Clean to purchase Cleanup Pro.
What is Clean Clutter?
Clean Clutter scans several areas of your hard drive and detects unnecessary files which can be removed to clear space on your Mac.
To perform a scan, click Scan under Clean Clutter on the main Cleanup Pro screen. After a scan, you can review the amount of space each category is using. Categories with a tick mark are selected for cleaning. To select individual items in a category, click a category on the left-side and tick the items you want to clean.
Click Clean at the bottom of the screen to remove the selected items from your system.
What is Find Duplicates?
Find Duplicates detects multiple files which contain identical content.
To perform a scan, click Find under Find Duplicates on the main Cleanup Pro screen. After a scan, you can click a category on the left-side of the screen to view which duplicate files Cleanup Pro detected.
To remove selected items, click Clean at the bottom of the screen.
Which duplicates should I select for cleaning?
After running a Find Duplicates scan, Cleanup Pro lists files which contain identical content. To select which duplicates to remove, use the drop-down menu in the bottom-left corner of the results screen and select an option:
- Custom Selection: allows you to manually select which files Cleanup Pro removes from your system.
- Keep oldest: keeps the oldest files in each set of duplicates and removes the newest files.
- Keep newest: keeps the newest files in each set of duplicates and removes the oldest files.
- Select none: deselects all files.
When you make a selection from the drop-down menu, the selection is applied to all Find Duplicates categories.
What is Alert Me?
Alert Me is a notification feature which allows Cleanup Pro to continuously scan your system and notify you when a certain amount of clutter is detected. Alert Me is enabled by default. To disable this feature, click the slider so that it changes from green (ON) to red (OFF).
Why doesn't Cleanup Pro clean anything from my system?
Avast Cleanup Pro requires a paid subscription to use. If you installed Cleanup Pro but have not purchased a subscription, the program cannot clean your system.
Why do I need to grant permissions to Cleanup Pro?
If Cleanup Pro detects clutter in your system folders, you are asked to enter your system credentials to continue the cleaning process. This prevents unauthorized users from clearing items from your system folders.
Why do I need to close open programs before Cleanup Pro continues cleaning?
When you perform a Clean Clutter scan, Cleanup Pro detects unnecessary files including those stored in your browsers and applications. If the applications containing these files are running when you click Clean, Cleanup Pro asks you to close the applications to prevent them from crashing or malfunctioning.
How do I send feedback about Cleanup Pro?
To send feedback about Avast Cleanup Pro, follow these steps:
- Double-click the Avast Cleanup Pro icon on your desktop to open the program.
- Click Help on the menu bar, then select Send Feedback from the context menu.
- Enter the relevant information into the text boxes, then click Send Feedback.
How do I uninstall Cleanup Pro?
To uninstall Avast Cleanup Pro, follow these steps:
- Click the Avast Cleanup Pro icon on your menu bar to open the program.
- Click Avast Cleanup Pro on the menu bar and select Uninstall Cleanup Pro from the context menu.
- In the Avast Cleanup Pro Uninstaller dialog, click Continue.
- Enter your system credentials, then click OK.
Cleanup Pro is now uninstalled.
- Avast Cleanup Pro 17.x for Mac
- Apple Mac OS X 10.13.x (High Sierra)
- Apple Mac OS X 10.12.x (Sierra)
- Apple Mac OS X 10.11.x (El Capitan)
- Apple Mac OS X 10.10.x (Yosemite)