Avast Antivirus: Sensitive Data Shield - Getting Started
How to use the Sensitive Data Shield
Sensitive Data Shield, available in the latest version of Avast Premier and Avast Internet Security, scans and protects your personal sensitive documents against unauthorized access and malware. The files considered as sensitive contain your personal information which, if revealed, can compromise your privacy and identity.
Refer to the sections in this article for instructions to use Sensitive Data Shield:
Scan your sensitive documents
- Open the Avast user interface, go to Privacy ▸ Sensitive Data Shield.
- Click Scan now.
- Scanning starts, if you want to stop the scan, click Stop scan.
The basic functionality of Sensitive Data Shield is also integrated into Smart Scan which can be run from Protection ▸ Antivirus ▸ Run Smart Scan.
Review scan results
After scanning, Sensitive Data Shield displays an overview of sensitive documents that were found on your PC. Documents are sorted into several categories, such as:
- Tax Documents
- Payroll Documents
- Employment Documents
- Plane Tickets
- Travel Documents
- Other sensitive documents
These documents may contain your personal data. If malware or hackers attack your PC and get access to these documents, your identity can be stolen and misused.
Click a category to display a screen with details. To open a document, click the preview icon next to the document's details.
Protect your data
To protect your sensitive data, follow these steps:
- Click Protect all under the list of categories.
- Click Done to confirm the action. In some cases, you may be prompted to decide if a document should be protected.
Your sensitive data are protected. If any untrusted application, malware, or user who is not logged into your Windows account tries to access your protected files, Sensitive Data Shield blocks access or prompts you to confirm if the access attempt should be blocked.
To manage Sensitive Data Shield settings, follow these steps:
- Click the gear icon in the top-right corner.
- You can do the following:
- Check and specify who has access to your documents: by default, access to your documents is restricted to authors and owners of documents. To disable this option, click the green slider next to Restrict document access only to authorized users so that it changes to red. We recommend keeping this option enabled at all times
- Check and specify a list of applications that are blocked or allowed to access your sensitive documents: the list is empty at the beginning. When an attempt of access to the sensitive content is discovered by Sensitive Data Shield, it displays a detection dialog and allows you to decide what list a detected application should be added to.
- Avast Premier 17.x
- Avast Internet Security 17.x
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise - 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate - Service Pack 1, 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic / Home Premium / Business / Enterprise / Ultimate - Service Pack 2, 32 / 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows XP Home / Professional / Media Center Edition - Service Pack 3, 32-bit