Avast Antivirus: Using Passive Mode
How to use the Passive Mode feature
Passive Mode disables all active protection, such as shields and Firewall, so that you can use more than one antivirus program at a time without interfering with the performance of your PC or the reliability of antivirus detections. In Passive Mode, Avast receives all virus definition and program updates which allow you to manually run scans to check for issues on your PC, however Avast does not actively protect you.
If Avast is the only antivirus software installed on your PC, only activate Passive Mode temporarily for specific troubleshooting purposes.
If you want Avast to actively protect you from malware and other security threats, ensure that Passive Mode is not turned on and the following conditions are met:
- Open Avast and go to Settings → Troubleshooting.
- Under Passive Mode, click Turn on, then click Yes to confirm.
- Restart your PC to initiate Passive Mode.
- Avast Premier 17.x
- Avast Internet Security 17.x
- Avast Pro Antivirus 17.x
- Avast Free Antivirus 17.x
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate