Avast Antivirus: Using Passive Mode
How to Use Avast Passive Mode
Passive Mode disables all real-time protection so that you can use more than one antivirus program at a time without interfering with the performance of your PC or the reliability of antivirus detections.
In Passive Mode, Avast still receives all virus definition and program updates so that you can manually run scans to check for issues on your PC, however, Avast does not actively protect you. You can turn this feature on in Settings by following the instructions in the quick or detailed steps of this article. If you install Avast on a PC with another antivirus program installed, Passive Mode is turned on by default. This feature is available for PCs running Windows 7 and higher.
If you want Avast to actively protect you from malware and other security threats, ensure that Passive Mode is not
turned on and the following conditions are met:
- In Avast, click Settings, then click Troubleshooting.
- Under Passive Mode, click Turn on, then click Yes in the Component stop dialog that appears.
- Restart your PC.
Your Avast protection is now running in Passive Mode. You can turn this setting off at any time.
Follow these steps to turn Passive Mode on:
- Open Avast on your desktop. For more information, refer to the following article:
- Click the Settings icon, then select Troubleshooting from the right-side panel.
- Expand the Passive Mode section by clicking the downward-facing arrow , then click Turn on.
- Click Yes in the Component stop dialog to acknowledge that your active Avast protection will be turned off.
- Restart your PC to initiate Passive Mode.
Your Avast Antivirus protection is now running in Passive Mode. You can still run scans and check for threats manually, however, Avast is no longer actively protecting your PC.
To turn Passive Mode off, repeat the aforementioned steps. In step 3, the Turn on option is replaced with the option to Turn off Passive Mode.
- Avast Free Antivirus 2016
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate