Avast Antivirus: Windows reports Avast Antivirus and/or Avast Firewall is turned off
How to resolve an issue when Windows reports that Avast Antivirus and/or Avast Firewall is turned off
In some cases, the Action Center or Security Center in Windows detects that Avast Antivirus is installed, but reports that Avast Antivirus and/or Avast Firewall is turned off. When this issue occurs, Windows may display the following notification:
To resolve this issue, refer to the instructions in the following sections:
If Windows does not detect Avast Antivirus installation, refer to the following article:
Ensure that Avast Antivirus is turned on
Ensure that the following conditions are met to confirm that Avast is turned on and actively protecting your PC:
- Avast is installed.
- Your Avast subscription is active.
- The Avast program version and virus definitions are updated.
- Avast reports that You're protected.
For detailed instructions, refer to the following article:
If you experience issues with your Avast Antivirus protection status, refer to the following article:
Ensure that Avast Firewall is installed and turned on
Avast Firewall is included only in Avast Internet Security and Avast Premier. If you are using another version of Avast Antivirus or another firewall (for example, Windows Firewall), skip these steps.
To determine whether Avast Firewall is installed and turned on, follow these steps:
- Open the Avast user interface and go to Settings.
- Select Components from the left panel.
- Scroll down to the Firewall section and ensure that the slider is in the ON position. If the slider is in the OFF position, click it to enable Firewall.
If you experience issues with turning Firewall on, refer to the following article:
Enable Avast Antivirus and/or Avast Firewall in the Action Center
If Avast Antivirus is properly installed, activated, updated, and actively protecting your PC, try to turn Avast Antivirus and/or Avast Firewall on directly in the Action / Security Center.
- Click the Security and Maintenance notification.
- Click Turn on Avast Antivirus (or Turn on Avast Firewall).
- Click Yes, I trust the publisher and I want to run this app.
Scan and repair the WMI Repository
The Action Center / Security Center acquires information about the current status of installed antivirus software by using Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI). If there is a problem in the WMI Repository, or the WMI service is not started, the Action Center reports outdated or misleading information.
To resolve this issue, scan and repair the WMI Repository by following the steps in the article below:
- Avast Premier 17.x
- Avast Internet Security 17.x
- Avast Pro Antivirus 17.x
- Avast Free Antivirus 17.x
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic / Home Premium / Business / Enterprise / Ultimate
- Microsoft Windows XP Home / Professional / Media Center Edition