Avast 2015: The Security Center in Windows XP cannot find an antivirus software on the computer
The Security Center in Windows XP reports that an antivirus software might not be installed on the computer although Avast 2015 is installed completely and fully active.
The Security Center in XP acquires information about the current status of installed antivirus software by using Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI). If there is some problem in the WMI Repository, or the WMI service is not started, the Security Center then reports outdated or misleading information.
To resolve this problem, repair the WMI Repository in the system as follows:
- Log in to Windows as an Administrator or as a user with administrator permissions.
- Ensure that your Windows XP has at least Service Pack 2 installed. Latest Service Pack for Windows XP can be downloaded and installed via Microsoft Windows Update or you can download the stand-alone package from the Microsoft Download Center. Current Service Pack version in your system can be determined in the System Information utility:
- From the Start menu select All Programs or the Programs sub-menu, then Accessories, then System Tools and then click on System Information.
- On the left pane of the window that opens, select System Summary to view your system Version, including Service Pack, if installed.
- After that, go to the Start menu and select Run....
- In the Run dialog copy and paste the following command:
rundll32 wbemupgd, UpgradeRepository
...and click OK.
You won't receive any confirmation message, but the results are stored in the setup.log file located in the %windir%\system32\wbem\logs directory, i.e. C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\logs by default.
- Reboot your computer for the changes to take effect.
Once the computer has restarted, the current status of installed antivirus software should be reported correctly in the Security Center.
Avast Premier 2015
Avast Internet Security 2015
Avast Pro Antivirus 2015
Avast Free Antivirus 2015
Microsoft Windows XP Home / Professional / Media Center Edition