Avast Antivirus: Troubleshooting when Avast Antivirus components no longer work properly
How to troubleshoot an issue with Avast program components
One or more Avast Antivirus program components (such as the shields or Firewall) may display the STOPPED status and cannot be started manually via the Avast Antivirus user interface.
This is usually caused by limited or inconsistent permissions to write to disk, system folders, or Windows registry, which prevents Avast Setup from installing, updating, deleting, or overwriting some of its program files and/or registry entries. If any of these files/entries are corrupted or missing, it may result in the malfunction of Avast Antivirus, or some of its components.
Although some of the steps in this article may require the advanced technical knowledge, performing them is necessary to fully resolve the Avast component issues and prevent them from happening in the future.
Follow these troubleshooting steps according to your version of Windows:
- Avast Premier 17.x
- Avast Internet Security 17.x
- Avast Pro Antivirus 17.x
- Avast Free Antivirus 17.x
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic / Home Premium / Business / Enterprise / Ultimate
- Microsoft Windows XP Home / Professional / Media Center Edition