Avast 2015: Performing VPS update and/or Program update
Updating Virus definitions and/or Program version
Any antivirus program is only as good as its database of known virus definitions. This is what the program uses to identify threats to your computer, which is why it is important to ensure the virus definitions are regularly updated. Updates to the program version provide bug fixes and general program improvements. By default, Avast 2015 is set to:
- Update the Engine and Virus Definitions (VPS) automatically whenever a new version is available.
- Ask you for the Program update when a new version is released (because it usually requires a restart of the computer).
The Engine is a part of the program that scans your computer for potential threats based on the Virus Definitions. The Program means what you can see, i.e. the user interface which is used to control what the program does. For each, you can configure whether you want to perform the updates automatically, or manually, or only on request when you'll see a notification that an update is available. But even with automatic updates switched on you can update manually anytime you need - for more information read the instructions below:
How to configure automatic updates in Avast 2015
To access the Update Settings proceed as follows:
- Right-click on the Avast orange ball icon in the system tray and select Open Avast user interface from the menu,
...or double-click the desktop icon of installed Avast antivirus software to open the Avast user interface.
- From the main menu, select Settings.
- Click the option Update in the left pane, and then you can select how the updates are carried out.
By default, Virus Definitions are set to Automatically update and Program Version is set to Ask when an update is available. To ensure your security updates should be done as soon as a new version is available. You can also choose manual updates, however this is not recommended.
Other settings are also available:
Specify the level of control over the update process.
- Update parameters
The type of internet connection that you use, i.e. whether you connect to the internet using a dial-up modem, or if your computer is permanently connected to the internet. This will optimize the way that Avast 2015 checks for new updates and make the update process more reliable.
- Auto-update interval
You can set the frequency of automatic updates i.e. how often Avast 2015 checks to see if an update is available.
- Update options
- Ask for reboot when needed - some updates require a system restart to take effect. If this box is checked, the restart will not be automatic. You will be asked whether you want to restart the system now, or later.
- Show notification box after automatic update - If this is checked a small notification message will be displayed briefly above the system clock, following an automatic update.
- Show notification box if an error occurs - If an error occurs during an automatic update, this will be reported in a notification message above the system clock.
- Proxy Settings
These settings are important when Avast 2015 needs to access the Internet over a proxy server.
- If you connect directly to the internet (i.e. not through a proxy), select Direct connection (no proxy). Please be noted that dial-up connections do not use a proxy.
- If you connect to the internet through a proxy server and you know the proxy server details, select Specify proxy server and enter the proxy details:
- Type - HTTP or SOCK4.
- Address - Enter the address of your proxy server.
- Port - Enter the port nuber that your proxy server uses.
- Authentication type - specify here whether the proxy server requires authentication and if so, the type of authentication.
- Username and Password - should be entered if required for authentication.
Finally, click on OK to confirm changes.
How to perform manual Virus Definitions (VPS) update
The Engine is a part of the program that scans your computer for potential threats based on the Virus Definitions. To manually invoke the latest VPS update, please follow these steps:
- Right-click on the Avast orange ball icon in the system tray, select Update from the menu and then Engine and virus definitions to launch a virus database update.
- The UPDATE screen in the Avast user interace will open and shows you an overal progress of the VPS update.
- After the update finishes, a confirmation message that the VPS update has been completed will appear in the results.
How to perform manual Program update
The Program means what you can see - the user interface which is used to control what the program does. Please be advised, that Program update also includes an update of Engine and Virus Definitions (VPS). To manually invoke the latest Program update, please follow these steps:
- Right-click on the Avast orange ball icon in the system tray, select Update from the menu and then Program to launch a program update.
- The UPDATE screen in the Avast user interace will open and shows you an overal progress of the Program update.
- After the update finishes, a confirmation message that the Program update (and also VPS update, if isn't already actual) has been completed will appear in the results.
- If asked to restart your computer, click Yes to reboot immediately.
- Avast Premier 2015
- Avast Internet Security 2015
- Avast Pro Antivirus 2015
- Avast Free Antivirus 2015
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro /Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic / Home Premium / Business / Enterprise / Ultimate
- Microsoft Windows XP Home / Professional / Media Center Edition)