Avast SecureLine VPN: FAQ
Avast SecureLine VPN: FAQ
Setup & Licensing
What is SecureLine VPN?
Antivirus software protects you from malware, and a firewall blocks unauthorized access to your computer and data stored there, but a Virtual Private Network (VPN) protects data you upload and download from the Internet. SecureLine VPN allows you to connect to the Internet via an encrypted tunnel to protect your online identity from eavesdropping. Only a VPN provides security for data after it leaves your computer and anonymizes your Internet activity.
SecureLine VPN offers many advantages:
- Protection on unsecured Wi-Fi connections. With other people connected to the same public network, attackers are able to capture sensitive data, such as logins and passwords. Since a VPN connection is encrypted, it provides efficient protection against these types of attacks.
- Anonymization. With broadband connections, many people have fixed IP addresses which can be tracked when browsing sensitive sites. With a VPN connection, the browsing session is effectively anonymized - the IP address the remote server sees is the address of the VPN server, not the user.
- Unrestricted access to the Internet. When connected to a VPN server in another location, you gain access to content that may be restricted in your location. This allows you to browse freely, even from countries with web censorship.
Which Operating Systems does SecureLine VPN support?
We also offer mobile versions of SecureLine VPN for iOS and for Android.
When should I use SecureLine VPN?
SecureLine VPN can be used any time you want to connect to the Internet with extra security and privacy. It is especially recommended when you are connected to a public or unsecured wireless network.
Can I use SecureLine VPN with any type of Internet connection?
Yes, SecureLine VPN connects over any wired or wireless Internet connection.
How do I install SecureLine VPN?
Can I run SecureLine VPN without installing Avast Antivirus?
Yes - SecureLine VPN can be installed as a standalone application, with or without Avast Antivirus or Avast Mac Security installed.
In the Windows platform, it can be also installed as a component of Avast Antivirus, and controlled from within the Avast user interface.
Is SecureLine VPN licensed separately from Avast Antivirus?
Yes - SecureLine VPN is an extra service and requires a separate license. An Avast Antivirus license will not activate SecureLine VPN.
What can I do if my activation was not successful?
When SecureLine VPN is integrated in Avast Antivirus, it still requires a separate license. When you activate your license for Avast Antivirus, SecureLine VPN will remain inactive. Please ensure that you have purchased the license for SecureLine VPN.
If using an activation code, check that you are entering the code in the field for SecureLine VPN.
If you are still unable to activate SecureLine VPN please submit a ticket to the Avast Support Team.
What settings options do I have for SecureLine VPN?
Can I set up SecureLine VPN to connect automatically when I start up my system?
How do I connect to a different VPN server location?
Can I add SecureLine VPN to my Avast Antivirus tools menu?
In Avast Antivirus 2015, SecureLine VPN appears in the tools menu by default. However, if it does not appear you can add it by accessing the Avast Setup Wizard via your Windows control panel and adding the SecureLine VPN components.
For detailed instructions please read the following article:
It is not possible to integrate SecureLine VPN with the Avast Mac Security menu. In the Mac version it is always a standalone application.
When is the regularly scheduled maintenance?
There is a regular maintenance every Saturday at 6 PM EST (GMT/UTC -5), or 6 PM EDT (GMT/UTC -4) during Daylight Saving Time, and lasts for one hour.
How do I uninstall SecureLine VPN?
If you wish to uninstall SecureLine VPN, follow these steps:
- Avast SecureLine VPN
- Avast Premier 2015
- Avast Internet Security 2015
- Avast Pro Antivirus 2015
- Avast Free Antivirus 2015
- Avast Free Mac Security
- Avast Mac Security Pro
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro /Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic / Home Premium / Business / Enterprise / Ultimate
- Microsoft Windows XP Home / Professional / Media Center Edition)
- Apple Mac OS X 10.10.x (Yosemite, Intel-based)
- Apple Mac OS X 10.9.x (Mavericks, Intel-based)