General: Uninstalling a third-party antivirus software
Uninstalling third-party antivirus software
Before installing Avast antivirus software on your computer, please ensure that there is no other third-party antivirus software installed, including expired or trial versions.
Having multiple antivirus programs installed on the same computer often results in conflicts including false positive detections, performance degradation and system instability. Therefore it is strongly recommended to uninstall all other previously installed antivirus applications before installing Avast on your computer.
Below are links to uninstallation instructions for common antivirus programs, on the appropriate vendors' websites.
Typical uninstallation from the Windows Control Panel can leave behind some files which prevent Avast from being correctly installed. Most vendors offer special removal tools to uninstall their antivirus software completely from the system. When a removal tool is available, it is the preferred uninstallation method.
- All Avast antivirus solutions
- All third-party antivirus solutions
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro /Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic / Home Premium / Business / Enterprise / Ultimate
- Microsoft Windows XP Home / Professional / Media Center Edition
- Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2011
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 (Any Edition, incl. Small Business Server, except Server Core)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 (Any Edition, incl. Small Business Server)