Avast 2016: Creating and using Avast Rescue Disk
How to create and use Avast Rescue Disk
Some malware prevents you from installing or using Avast Antivirus. In such cases, you can use Avast Rescue Disk to remove infected files.
Create Rescue Disk on a USB drive or CD
To create a Rescue Disk image you need:
- Another malware-free Windows computer with Avast 2016 installed.
- An empty USB drive with capacity 500 MB or higher (Preferred method).
~ or ~
A blank recordable CD; CD/DVD-writer; burning software which can write in ISO file format (Alternative method).
Computers manufactured around year 2000 may not boot from USB drive. In this case you should use the Alternative method to create Rescue Disk on a CD.
Boot up your computer from Rescue Disk
After creating a Rescue Disk image you can boot the computer containing malware using the external USB (Preferred method) or CD (Alternative method) drive instead of the internal hard drive.
Scan your computer for viruses
When Rescue Disk starts up on the computer, it is ready to scan for malware.
- Select an option:
- All hard discs - Scan the entire computer.
- Selected folders/discs - Scan only specific folder(s) or disc(s) on the computer. Click Change to select the folder(s) or disc(s) to scan. Click OK.
Tick Scan all archives to scan compressed files (RAR, ZIP, etc).
- Click Start scan.
A progress bar appears.
- When scanning is finished, a scan report appears. Any threats found are listed in the report,
...and also in the results screen.
Repair or delete infected files
After scanning the computer Rescue Disk notifies you of any threats found. When threats are found, two options are available.
When the computer restarts you can remove the external USB drive/CD containing Rescue Disk from your computer.
- Avast Premier 2016
- Avast Internet Security 2016
- Avast Pro Antivirus 2016
- Avast Free Antivirus 2016
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic / Home Premium / Business / Enterprise / Ultimate
- Microsoft Windows XP Home / Professional / Media Center Edition