Avast Antivirus: Managing your privacy settings
How to manage your privacy settings
Avast Antivirus collects anonymous data from our users so that we can identify and react to the latest security threats as soon as possible. We collect such data via Avast Antivirus and the Avast Online Security browser extension, and use it to better protect you and all Avast users from online threats. Although we do not publish or share any personally identifiable information, your participation is voluntary. For more details, see the Avast Privacy and Information Security Policy.
To manage your privacy settings, follow the steps in this article according to your circumstances:
Privacy settings for Avast Antivirus
Follow these steps to set your data sharing preferences for Avast Antivirus, including the Avast Online Security browser extension:
- Open the Avast user interface on your desktop.
- Click the Settings icon, then ensure General is selected at the top-left of the Settings window that opens.
- Scroll to the bottom and click the downward-facing arrow in the Privacy section to expand it.
- Tick or untick the following options:
- Participate in the Avast community: contribute to generic security-related information that enables us to identify the latest security threats without delay.
- Participate in data sharing: contribute to unidentifiable statistical data that may be shared with third parties but always anonymously.
- Click OK to update your settings preferences.
Your Privacy settings preferences are updated. See the Avast Privacy and Information Security Policy for more details about anonymized data collection.
Privacy settings for the Avast Online Security browser extension (standalone)
If Avast Antivirus is installed on your PC, refer to the instructions above to manage your privacy settings. If you use Avast Online Security as a standalone browser extension, follow these steps for your preferred web browser:
- Avast Premier 12.x
- Avast Internet Security 12.x
- Avast Pro Antivirus 12.x
- Avast Free Antivirus 12.x
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic / Home Premium / Business / Enterprise / Ultimate
- Microsoft Windows XP Home / Professional / Media Center Edition