Avast Antivirus: Managing privacy settings
How to manage your privacy settings
Avast Antivirus collects anonymous data from our users so that we can identify and react to the latest security threats as soon as possible. We collect such data via Avast Antivirus and the Avast Online Security browser extension, and use it to better protect you and all Avast users from online threats. Although we do not publish or share any personally identifiable information, your participation is voluntary. For more details, see the Avast Privacy and Information Security Policy.
To manage your privacy settings, follow the steps in this article according to your circumstances:
- If Avast Antivirus is installed and the Avast Online Security browser extension was included in the Avast Antivirus installation, read the steps in the following section:
- If Avast Antivirus is not installed and Avast Online Security was installed as the standalone browser extension, read the steps in the following section:
Manage privacy settings in Avast Antivirus
Follow these steps to set your data sharing preferences for Avast Antivirus, including the Avast Online Security browser extension:
- Open the Avast user interface and click Settings.
- Ensure the General tab is selected, then scroll to the bottom and click the downward-facing arrow next to Privacy to expand the section.
- Tick or untick the following options:
- Participate in the Avast community: tick to contribute to generic security-related information, such as malware attacks detected on your PC, which helps us immediately identify and react to the latest security threats. Your participation does not compromise any of your personal information.
- Participate in data sharing: tick to contribute to unidentifiable statistical data that may be shared with third parties but always anonymously.
- Click OK to update your settings preferences.
Your Privacy settings preferences are updated. See the Avast Privacy and Information Security Policy for more details about anonymized data collection.
Manage privacy settings in Avast Online Security
If Avast Antivirus is installed on your PC, refer to the instructions above to manage your privacy settings. If you use Avast Online Security as a standalone browser extension in Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, follow these steps for your preferred web browser:
Accept or decline your contribution to anonymous statistical data by following these steps in your browser:
- Click the Avast Online Security icon at the top-right of your browser, then click More settings.
The Avast Online Security Settings page opens.
- Tick or untick Data Sharing to participate or opt out, then click Save to apply your changes.
Your Data Sharing preference is updated.
- Avast Premier 17.x
- Avast Internet Security 17.x
- Avast Pro Antivirus 17.x
- Avast Free Antivirus 17.x
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic / Home Premium / Business / Enterprise / Ultimate
- Microsoft Windows XP Home / Professional / Media Center Edition