Avast Online Security browser extension: Overview
The Avast Online Security browser extension
The Avast Online Security web browser extension is designed to improve your online security and overall experience when browsing the internet.
- Warns you if you land on a phishing or bad reputation website.
- Displays the rating of a website next to the website link in your search results.
- Enables you and other users of the extension to rate the websites you visit so that site ratings are current.
- Redirects you to the correct site when you mistype a URL.
- Switches you to Avast SafeZone Browser when you use sensitive financial/banking sites (with Avast Pro Antivirus or higher).
- Blocks analytic sites and enables you to turn off website tracking systems.
When you install Avast Antivirus on your PC, the Avast Online Security extension is automatically added to your browser and ready to use. You can also use the extension as a standalone service in Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox.
Refer to the following sections to use the extension in Chrome, Firefox, or Internet Explorer:
Turn off website tracking systems
Websites use website tracking systems to monitor visitor behaviors so that they can obtain statistics and other data for marketing purposes. The Avast Online Security browser extension enables you to see details of the tracking systems used by the websites you visit and turn them off to prevent being tracked. When you visit a site that uses tracking systems, the number of tracking systems is visible on the Avast Online Security icon at the top-right of your browser window.
Rate a website or view its rating
The Avast Online Security browser extension displays information about the browsing quality of the websites you visit based on the ratings of other users. To see this rating, click the Avast Online Security icon at the top-right of your browser window. The browser extension window opens and at the top you can see one of three possible ratings:
- This site is safe
- This site is unsafe
- Unknown site
Sites labeled as unknown do not have enough ratings yet. You can contribute to the ratings of sites using the Avast Online Security browser extension in the following ways:
These ratings help you and other users to know whether the sites you visit are safe.
Manage your Avast Online Security settings
You can modify the Avast Online Security browser extension to suit your preferences. To access the settings, follow these steps:
- Avast Premier 12.x
- Avast Internet Security 12.x
- Avast Pro Antivirus 12.x
- Avast Free Antivirus 12.x
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic / Home Premium / Business / Enterprise / Ultimate
- Microsoft Windows XP Home / Professional / Media Center Edition