Avast Cleanup: FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions
Avast Cleanup is a new optimization tool which replaces the old GrimeFighter product that clears disk space and speeds up your system.
Settings and Features
Purchase, installation, and activation
What is Avast Cleanup?
Avast Cleanup is an optimization tool that supplements your Avast Antivirus protection, and is also available as a standalone application. Cleanup scans your system to identify unwanted files and programs that can be removed or disabled so that your computer runs in an optimal state.
How do I get Cleanup on my PC?
How is Cleanup better than the old GrimeFighter program?
Avast Cleanup has the following enhancements and improvements:
- Easy to remember system requirements: if your PC can run Avast Antivirus, it can run Cleanup.
- System scan and clean happens within the Avast user interface. No reboot to Linux needed to clean files and settings.
- New features include the Registry scan which removes obsolete files from uninstalled programs.
- No more license hassles, just purchase and activate from within the Avast program and you are ready to optimize your PC.
Can I use my GrimeFighter license to upgrade to Cleanup?
Yes you can. Your license should convert automatically and remain valid for the same duration as the GrimeFighter license.
If you purchased GrimeFighter but did not activate it yet, you can activate Cleanup using your Avast Account. For details please read the following article:
Can I continue to use the old GrimeFighter?
Yes you can, but please note that if you update to Avast Antivirus 2016 you are automatically upgraded to Avast Cleanup and the GrimeFighter program will not be available on your system. If you prefer to use the older versions of Avast and GrimeFighter, you can keep the virus definitions updated to ensure your protection.
Is Cleanup available as a standalone application?
Cleanup is now available as a standalone application. You can download the standalone version of Avast Cleanup from the Avast website.
If you have Avast Antivirus installed on your PC, we strongly recommend using Cleanup as an add-on in Avast.
How do I run a Cleanup scan?
Can I review details of what Cleanup will optimize before it cleans?
When Cleanup completes a scan, you can review and modify any of the recommended changes before performing the system cleanup. Cleanup shows a description of the changes to your system after the system clean is done.
How do I undo changes made by Cleanup?
If you are dissatisfied with the changes made to your computer by Cleanup, you can use Windows System restore to revert your computer to its previous, pre-cleanup state.
Can I use my computer during a Cleanup scan?
Yes, you can continue to use your computer while the program performs the scan and clean. However, we recommend that you review the scan results to confirm the actions Cleanup will perform.
Can I schedule Cleanup to run when I'm not using my PC?
How do I install Cleanup?
How can I purchase an activation code for Cleanup?
How do I enter the Cleanup activation code?
Can I transfer my Cleanup activation code from one computer to another?
No, activation codes for Cleanup are non-transferable and can only be used on the computer where it was activated for the first time. Another Cleanup activation code must be purchased to optimize another computer.
How do I report a problem or suspected bug?
If Cleanup produces unexpected results or error messages, please report this to AVAST Support by submitting a ticket. In order to help us fix the issue, please send a detailed description of how to reproduce the error and include the following information:
- Your version of Windows and your computer's brand, model, and graphics card.
- Detailed description of the problem, and the sequence of actions leading up the issue.
- Any error messages displayed.
- Any differences on your PC following the Cleanup issue.
How do I report a falsely identified junk file or program that Cleanup removed from my system?
If Cleanup disables or removes a file, or a program that you wanted to keep, please let us know.
You can report the issue to AVAST Support by opening a support ticket and including the exact file or program name, and the undesired result performed by the Cleanup. Please include all of the specific, relevant details.
What does Cleanup do with my encrypted files?
Cleanup ignores encrypted partitions and files to ensure your privacy and security. If your entire hard drive is encrypted, Cleanup cannot scan and optimize your system.
- Avast Cleanup
- Avast Premier 2016
- Avast Internet Security 2016
- Avast Pro Antivirus 2016
- Avast Free Antivirus 2016
- Microsoft Windows 10 / Home / Pro / Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic / Home Premium / Business / Enterprise / Ultimate
- Microsoft Windows XP Home / Professional / Media Center Edition