Avast Cleanup 2 for Android: FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions
Cleanup is an application designed to help you improve the performance of your device and preserve storage space by removing unnecessary media, files, apps, and app data. Remove these items by transferring them to a cloud storage account and/or deleting them from your device. In the case of photos, you can also optimize them to consume less space.
The app is available in a free and premium version. This article answers questions related to the features, settings and general use of Avast Cleanup and Avast Cleanup Pro for Android.
Storage and Memory
Applications and App Data
Media and Files
Download and Installation
Can I review items that I add to the trash before deleting them?
Yes. To review the items that you select for deletion before permanently removing them from your device, ensure that the Trash review option is turned on in your Cleanup Settings. Tap (or swipe to) the Tools tab, tap Settings, then turn on the Trash review option. Files, media, apps, and app data that you delete are added to the Trash. From there, you can remove items if you change your mind, or permanently delete them if you're certain.
What does a Cleanup Pro subscription include?
Cleanup Pro is the premium version of the app. With a Cleanup Pro subscription, you can take advantage of the following features:
- Automatic cleaning: schedule cleans to run periodically without interrupting your device usage.
- Remove ads: eliminate ads from your Cleanup experience.
- Advanced Photo optimizer: control the size and quality of your photos with customizable optimization settings.
- Avast direct support: contact Avast from the app to receive help directly from our customer support team.
You can upgrade to Cleanup Pro directly from the Cleaning tab of the app.
What types of files are processed during a Safe clean and can I customize them?
When you tap the Safe clean button on the Cleaning tab, the app scans for the certain items and caches which are unnecessary for the performance of your device. These include thumbnails, APKS, residual files, and hidden, visible, and shared cache.
Configure Safe clean to ignore any item type that you do not want deleted. Tap (or swipe to) the Tools tab, tap Settings, then tap Safe cleaning. On the next screen, tick or untick the file types according to your preferences. By default, all types are ticked except for Thumbnails.
Why does the Safe clean scan run slowly or pause mid-progress?
During a scan, Cleanup probes several folder-levels deep to identify all dispensable data on your device. Depending on the number of items Cleanup needs to scan and the computing power of your device, a scan may take several seconds to a number of minutes. If the scanner encounters a particularly complex folder, a notification is displayed in the scanner progress bar. To provide feedback about unusually long scan processing times, go to Help & Feedback on the Tools tab.
Can I exclude apps from Memory Boost?
Yes. The first time you use the Memory Boost feature, you are prompted to use the Memory Booster Check which enables you to deselect any apps that you do not want to be affected by a Memory Boost. By default, all non-system apps are selected. Turn the Memory Booster Check option on in Settings (located under the Tools tab) so that each time you tap the Memory Boost button, you can review which apps that will be affected and deselect any that you do not want to be stopped on that occasion.
Can I keep copies of the media and files I transfer to cloud storage on my device?
Yes. Follow these steps:
- Tap (or swipe to) the Tools tab and tap Settings.
- Tap Cloud services and at the bottom of the page, turn off the option to Delete files after transfer.
This setting affects all connected cloud services.
Where can I find items after they are transferred to cloud storage?
To locate an item that you transferred to cloud storage, sign into your cloud storage service and access the relevant folder:
- In Dropbox: Avast Cleanup in the Apps folder
- In OneDrive or Google Drive: AvastCleanup folder
Your transferred items are organized in the same way that they were organized on your device.
What is the Cleaning tab for?
The Cleaning tab indicates the percentage of used storage space on your device or the amount of available storage space if you tap the percentage shown. In addition, you can quickly and safely remove space-wasting data by tapping the Safe clean button, or release memory space by stopping all running apps (excluding system apps) using the Memory boost button.
What is a Safe clean?
Safe clean is an automated action that removes dispensable files from your device to free your storage space. You can define the exact types of items that are cleaned in your Cleanup Settings.
How can I be sure that important items are not deleted during a Safe clean?
The Safe clean function was carefully designed to only remove data that is truly dispensable, such as system caches that can be easily replaced, or already installed APK files. If you're concerned, you can define the exact types of items that are cleaned in your Cleanup Settings and also turn the Safe Clean Check option on to review items before they are deleted.
Can I review files before they are deleted by Safe clean?
Yes. Follow these steps to review files before deleting them with a Safe clean:
- Tap (or swipe to) the Tools tab and tap Settings.
- Tap Safe cleaning and turn on the Safe clean check option.
Each time you run a Safe clean, an overview of all items is displayed before you perform the deletion. You can untick items that you do not want to delete before completing the clean in all categories, except for Hidden Cache, which can be cleaned all at once or not at all.
Can I restore files that were deleted during a Safe clean?
No. You can't restore the files that are deleted during a Safe clean. This function was designed to only remove dispensable data such as system caches and already installed APK files. If you're concerned, we recommend turning the Safe clean check option on in your Cleanup Settings to review items before proceeding with any deletions.
Why does the Safe clean button show such a low amount of removable space?
If you have recently run a Safe clean, the amount of removable space may be low because your apps have not created more dispensable data yet. Another reason may be that some of your Safe clean categories are unchecked and therefore ignored when the clean is run. Check the categories in your Safe cleaning settings, if you are concerned.
Why is the Thumbnails category turned off by default?
Thumbnails are the small versions of pictures used for previews. Deleting thumbnails during a Safe clean can release significant amounts of data on some devices while on others the effect is very limited. For this reason, this category is unchecked by default. You can test the effectiveness of this option on your device and decide whether to check it or not.
What is the Memory Boost feature?
When you tap the Memory Boost button on the Cleaning tab, Cleanup stops all non-system apps from running in the background. This action makes the memory space that was occupied by this background activity available for other purposes.
How long do the effects of a Memory Boost last?
The amount of memory a Memory Boost frees on your device and how long it lasts depends on how active your apps are, and whether they automatically restart or require a manual restart. Some apps instantly reload and continue to occupy memory space, others reload but consume less memory than before the Memory Boost, and some do not affect your memory again until you actively reopen them.
Is it harmful to stop an app with the Memory Boost feature?
Mobile apps are designed to cope with sudden closures, which means that typically the action of stopping apps via the Memory Boost feature should not have a detrimental impact on your apps.
What is the Apps tab for?
The Apps tab provides a summary of the apps that you installed on your device and their downloaded data. Pre-installed device applications are not included. From this tab, you can also remove any apps or app data that you do not need.
How can I delete unwanted apps from my device?
On the Apps tab, tap the Applications button towards the lower half of the page to open a display of your installed apps and view the amount of data each app is consuming. Select one or more apps and tap the delete icon which appears at the bottom of the screen.
What is app data and what are the consequences of deleting it from my device?
App data is the data that is accumulated and stored (often unnecessarily) on your device when you use certain apps. Cleanup identifies app data that you can safely remove from your device, however, we recommend that you delete such data with caution. Always consider the impact of its removal on the functionality of the source app. For example, each time you open Google Maps, the app re-downloads any offline maps that were removed by Cleanup. Similarly, Spotify re-downloads offline tracks when needed. Conversely, deleting OBB type app data, which is often associated with large games, may release a lot of space on your device while allowing you to keep the game, but, you may need to re-install or re-download the OBB file if you decide to continue the game.
How can I delete app data from my device?
On the Apps tab, tap App Data to open a display of the app data that you can clean from your device. Select one or more app data types and tap the delete icon which appears at the bottom of the screen.
If you delete an app data file, all data related to the selected application, including the custom settings or OBB files related to the additional features bought on Google Play, are deleted. After you delete these files, the application runs in default configuration with no additional features.
You can also add individual app data items to Safe Clean. To do so, tap the menu icon in the bottom-right corner of the item that you want to add to Safe clean, then tap Add to Safe clean.
How can I organize apps and app data in Cleanup?
On the Applications or App Data pages of Cleanup (which you can open from the Apps tab), your apps or app data are displayed by default according to size. You can also display apps or app data by name, and apps by usage. Tap the statistics icon at the top-right to change the setting.
Why don't certain app caches appear in the App Data section?
The items included in this section are limited to data from some of the most commonly used apps. These apps have been carefully analyzed and selected to be included as deleting them is unlikely to cause issues with your device. Regardless, we recommend to always use caution when deleting app data.
What is the Media & Files tab for?
The Media & Files tab enables you to manage the amount of space consumed by the media and files that are created on your device, downloaded from the internet or maintained by a common application.
Such items are organized into three categories:
- Audio and video
- Documents, other files (PDFs, spreadsheets, presentations, archives, HTML files, and residual APK files)
You can free space on your device by transferring your media and files items to your cloud storage and/or deleting them. Additionally, you can optimize your Pictures so that they consume less space.
You can also see exactly how much space each of your media and files items is consuming, and remove or transfer them one-by-one or as a group.
How can I organize Media and Files in Cleanup?
By default, your Media & Files items are organized according to size. However, you can reorganize them in the following ways:
- Pictures: type, size, name, data, folder, upload status, optimizable.
- Audio and Video: type, size, name, data, folder, or upload status.
- Documents, other files: type, size, name, data, folder, or upload status.
To reorganize your media and files, tap the statistics icon at the top-right of a selected category and select your preferred option.
What is 'the cloud' and which cloud storage services does Cleanup support?
'The cloud' refers to virtual storage space where you can keep media and files such as photos, videos, and documents. Several cloud storage providers exist. With the Cleanup app, you can connect to and transfer files and media from your device directly to Dropbox, Google Drive, and OneDrive.
At one time, you can connect to multiple Google Drive accounts, one Dropbox account, and one OneDrive account via the Cloud services settings.
How do I add an item to a cloud transfer queue?
To transfer an item to your cloud storage account, follow these steps:
- Tap (or swipe to) the Media & Files tab.
- Tap the type of files you want to manage to open the relevant items:
- Audio and Video
- Documents, other files
- Select any items that you want to transfer and tap the menu icon then tap Move to cloud.
Note: If you are not already connected to a cloud account, tap Connect to cloud to open your Cloud services settings.
If your device is connected to the internet (or Wi-Fi if you turned on Upload files only on Wi-Fi), the transfer starts immediately.
How can I connect to or disconnect from a cloud storage account in Cleanup?
In your Cloud services settings (which you can open from the Settings section on the Tools tab), perform the relevant step:
- To connect: tap Connect next to your preferred cloud provider and follow the steps to sign in or sign up for a new account.
- To disconnect: tap the menu icon beside the account that you want to disconnect and tap Sign out.
Why does a file upload restart from the beginning after a transfer queue is paused?
Because incomplete file transfers are automatically deleted by cloud services when a transfer is paused, you can only pause and resume an entire queue.
Why did Cleanup fail to transfer an item to my cloud storage account?
The main reasons a file transfer fails are:
- Poor quality or unavailability of an internet connection.
- Unavailability of the cloud storage service.
- Insufficient space availability in your cloud storage account.
If you encounter a transfer fail, retry the transfer at a later time or with a different service.
What are optimizable photos?
In the Pictures section on the Media & Files tab, a selection of your photos are available for you to optimize. These images are deemed optimizable by Cleanup because they can be resized to the size of your device screen to make them smaller and less space-consuming. Images that are already the same size as your device screen (for example, screenshots) or smaller are not optimizable. In addition to optimizing these images, you can also transfer them to your cloud storage and/or delete them from your device.
What is photo optimization and how is advanced (Pro) optimization different?
When you optimize the photos on your device via the Media & Files tab, the pixel size is decreased so that the image looks almost the same as the original, but consumes much less space on your device. You can simultaneously transfer the original images to your cloud storage or delete them.
With a Cleanup Pro subscription, you can control how much you want to optimize the size and quality of each image.
When compared, original and optimized images look very similar on your device screen. For printing purposes, however, we recommend you use the original, higher quality versions.
How can I subscribe to Cleanup Pro?
You can subscribe to Cleanup Pro by tapping the Upgrade badge on the home screen of the app (the Cleaning tab). When you tap this option, you are directed to the purchase screen to select your subscription type (monthly or yearly) and complete the upgrade. After upgrading, the features are unlocked and available to use. To upgrade, you need to have a Google account connected with Google Play services.
Can I use my Cleanup Pro subscription on more than one device?
Your Cleanup Pro subscription is connected to your Google account and activates automatically on all devices that you use your account on when you install the app. If the premium features are not automatically unlocked, you can activate an existing subscription in your Cleanup settings.
How can I activate a previously purchased license on an alternative device?
Your Cleanup Pro subscription automatically activates on all devices that are signed into the Google account you purchased the subscription from. If you already have a subscription but the premium features are not available in the app, ensure that you are signed into the correct account in Google Play.
Alternatively, manually check for a valid subscription by following these steps:
- Tap (or swipe to) the Tools tab.
- Tap Settings, then tap Subscription.
- Tap Restore previous purchase.
Cleanup checks for a subscription registered to the Google account you are currently signed into and activates it on your device.
What is automatic cleaning?
With Cleanup Pro, you can activate automatic cleaning of your device by specifying the frequency (every 24 hours, 48 hours, 72 hours, or week), and the minimum amount of space you want to clean. Automatic cleaning occurs as often as you set without you needing to activate it each time. If you turn the Notify me when cleaning is complete option on in Settings, you are informed each time an automatic clean completes.
Is my license for Cleanup Pro also valid for other Avast Pro apps?
No. If you purchase a license for Cleanup Pro, your license is only valid for this app. This license does not work for any other Avast Pro app, even if the apps are installed on the same mobile device. For example, if you want to use Avast Mobile Security Pro in addition to Cleanup Pro, you need to purchase a separate license directly from the Avast Mobile Security app.
How can I cancel a Cleanup Pro subscription?
To cancel a subscription, ensure that you are signed into the Google account that you used to purchase the subscription, then follow these steps:
- Open Google Play on your device.
- Tap the menu icon at the top-left, then tap Account.
- Tap Subscriptions, then tap Cancel below the subscription.
- Tap Cancel Subscription to confirm.
Google Play confirms the subscription is cancelled. Your subscription is cancelled and will stop at the end of the current billing cycle.
Why do I need to grant the Usage Access permission to Cleanup?
On the Apps tab, Cleanup provides an overview of the apps that you have installed on your device and their downloaded data. Without the Usage Access permission, Cleanup can provide only limited information about your apps. For example, instead of being able to show you the number of large and unused apps, Cleanup displays only the number of apps installed on your device. Further, Cleanup can only sort your apps and app data by size, and not by name or usage.
You can grant the permission in the Apps with usage access section of your device settings. Tap the question mark on the Unused Apps box then tap Yes to open your device settings.
Why do I need to grant the In-app Purchases permission to Cleanup?
In addition to the free version of Cleanup, we now offer Cleanup Pro which includes a range of additional features and functions. The In-app Purchases permission enables you to upgrade to the premium version of the app if you want to, however, you are not charged by Cleanup unless you proceed to the purchase screen and provide all of your payment details.
What settings are available for Cleanup?
Access your Cleanup settings by tapping Settings on the Tools tab. The following settings are available:
Standard Cleanup settings:
- Safe cleaning: turn on Safe Clean Check if you want to check items before they are permanently removed from your device during a Safe Clean. Untick the types of items that you do not want Cleanup to delete.
- Subscription: select and purchase your preferred Cleanup Pro subscription type (monthly or yearly) or apply a previously purchased license.
- Notifications: tap each reminder or warning type and specify when you want to receive them.
- Charging Booster: specify how you want Charging Booster to behave. These settings are only available in Cleanup if Avast Mobile Security and Avast Battery Saver are not installed on your device. If all three apps are installed, manage these settings from Avast Battery Saver. If only Cleanup and Avast Mobile Security are installed, manage these settings from Avast Mobile Security.
- Cloud services: tap the add icon next to a cloud storage provider (Dropbox, Google Drive, or OneDrive) to connect to your account or create a new account. Turn on the settings that you want to apply to your cloud transfers.
- Trash review: turn off if you do not want to review items before permanently deleting them during a Safe clean.
- Memory Booster Check: turn off if you do not want to review apps before their background activity is stopped by a Memory boost.
Cleanup Pro settings:
- Automatic cleaning: turn on automatic cleaning so that you don't need to manually open the app and tap the Safe clean button each time you want to clean your device. Set the frequency and minimum amount of space you want to clean each time.
- Photo optimizer: customize the optimization of your images. For maximum optimization, set the size to Screen and the compression to Aggressive.
- Remove ads: tap Remove ads to go through the steps to upgrade to a Cleanup Pro subscription. After upgrading, this setting disappears and you will no longer see ads in the app.
Premium settings are highlighted with the subtext Pro Feature. If you do not already have a Cleanup Pro subscription, tap Upgrade to proceed to the purchase screen.
What is Charging Booster?
Charging Booster is a feature that helps your device recharge faster by killing all background tasks. When Charging Booster is active, you can:
- Check what time your device will finish charging.
- See the voltage of your charging connection.
- Access a range of other performance-boosting options.
By default, this feature activates each time you begin charging your device, and automatically kills all tasks that are running in the background. Alternatively, you can disable the feature or configure it to only activate while your device is not in use. You can also turn off automatic task killing.
Note: If Avast Mobile Security is installed on your device, you need to manage your Charging Booster settings in Avast Mobile Security. If Avast Mobile Security and Avast Battery Saver are installed on your device, you need to manage your Charging Booster settings in Avast Battery Saver. Otherwise, you can manage this feature in your Cleanup settings.
How can I customize or disable the notifications I receive from Cleanup?
Cleanup notifies you when you have opportunities to enhance the performance and amount of available space on your device:
- Unused app(s) reminder: you haven't used one or more of your apps for a selected amount of time.
- Storage space warning: you have a selected amount or less of free storage space.
- Dispensable data reminder: you have a selected amount or more of data that can be safely removed.
- Media transfer reminder: you have a selected amount or more of media that you may want to transfer to the cloud.
- Cleaning adviser alert: you have a selected amount or more of cleaning opportunities for your device.
- Optimizable photos reminder: you have a selected amount or more of optimizable photos on your device.
- Trash reminder: you have items in your Cleanup trash.
If you do not want to see these warnings (or you want to customize them), open Settings from the Tools tab, tap Notifications, then tap a notification type and select Disabled or change your conditions for receiving it.
What does 'Scanner updated' relate to in the About application section of Settings?
The Cleanup scanner is regularly updated to ensure that the app is as effective as possible. When improvements are made, the scanner configuration is automatically updated on your device (with a super-tiny download), and the date is reflected in the Scanner updated section of the About application screen. To see this section, tap (or swipe to) the Tools tab, tap Settings, then tap the menu icon, and tap About application.
How can I give feedback about the app or ask for help?
If you want to provide feedback or show appreciation and support for Avast mobile products, you can:
- Write a positive review on Google Play.
- Tell your friends about our software via Facebook or Twitter.
- Post reviews in Android related forums.
For help or to send feedback directly to us, go to the Help & Feedback section of the app (which is located on the Tools tab) and try one of the following options:
- Tap Avast direct support to contact us directly for help and support (this feature is only available if you have the premium version of the app).
- Tap an FAQ category to see a list of frequently asked questions.
- Tap Go to our forum to be directed to our forum where you can ask or answer questions about Cleanup.
- Tap Send us a message to fill in a feedback form about the app and send it directly to our developers (this form is for feedback purposes only and we cannot guarantee a response).
Why does Avast show advertisements in Cleanup?
Avast is pleased to offer both a free and premium version (Cleanup Pro) of the app. Although we're confident you'll find both versions of the app highly advantageous to the performance of your device, Cleanup Pro is ad-free and includes a range of additional features and benefits. To support the ongoing development of the app, the free version includes ads only at the end of each cleaning process which we believe are unobtrusive and do not interfere with app usage.
What other Avast apps should I be using?
Avast has created the following range of apps to improve the performance of your mobile device and protect you from hackers and thieves:
What are the system requirements for Cleanup?
You can install and run Cleanup on any device running Android operating systems 4.1 and higher.
Cleanup cannot be downloaded or installed on non-Android operating systems, including the following operating systems:
- Microsoft Windows Phone
If you are using a custom ROM, the app may not work as expected. Please report any feedback regarding this issue through our support pages.
How can I download and install Cleanup?
Cleanup is available for Android devices from Google Play.
Cleanup is now installed and ready to use. For additional features and functions, upgrade to Cleanup Pro.
How can I uninstall Cleanup?
You can uninstall Cleanup in Google Play:
- Open Google Play from the apps screen of your device and search for Avast Cleanup.
- Tap Avast Cleanup & Boost to open the app information page.
- Tap Uninstall, then tap OK to confirm the uninstallation.
Cleanup is no longer installed on your device.
- Android 5.x
- Android 4.1 and higher