Avast Antivirus: Virus definition updates discontinued for Avast version 4.8 - FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions
Avast version 4.8 will discontinue virus definition updates by January 2017.
Refer to a list of frequently asked questions below for information about updating to the latest version of Avast from Avast version 4.8.
What happens when the virus definitions for Avast version 4.8 become obsolete?
If you use Avast version 4.8, virus definitions are to be discontinued by January 2017. While your Avast product will still function, your protection is compromised. We strongly recommend updating your version of Avast to benefit from important protection features and up-to-date virus definitions.
Why should I update my program version?
- When you have the latest version of Avast, the program and virus definitions are updated automatically. This means you always have the most recent and effective version.
- Our online help services and customer care team are best equipped to support more recent versions of Avast.
- The latest version of Avast offers advanced protection features, such as CyberCapture. For more information about available features, refer to the Features and Settings section in the following article:
How do I update to the latest version of Avast from version 4.8?
To update your program version:
- Uninstall your Avast product. For detailed uninstallation steps, read the article below:
- Install the latest version of Avast. For detailed installation instructions, read the article below: