Avast Battery Saver for Android: FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions
Battery Saver is a free mobile application that improves the endurance of your battery life between recharges. To preserve your device's battery life, the app:
- Identifies and stops apps that are running unnecessarily in the background so that they don't drain your battery.
- Manages your device settings so that features that consume a lot of battery only turn on when you need them.
- Provides you with critical information about the status of your device at-a-glance.
This article answers questions related to the features, settings and general use of Avast Battery Saver for Android.
Battery Saver Profiles
Other Features and Settings
Download and Installation
Why do my apps restart after I stop them?
When you use the app stopping feature of Battery Saver, the app either 'kills' or 'stops' your apps depending on your device settings. Many apps restart automatically after an app is killed, whereas, being a much stronger action, this is less common if an app is stopped. To prevent your apps from restarting, turn Avast Battery Saver on in the Accessibility section of your device Settings so that the app can use the Force stop system function. Follow these steps:
- Open your device Settings.
- Select Accessibility.
- Turn on Avast Battery Saver.
Certain system apps (specifically those that are connected with the functionality of your device), such as Google Play, may continue to restart after a Force stop, however, most do not.
Why does my mobile data automatically turn on/off despite my device settings?
Battery Saver profiles are designed to manage certain device settings on your behalf. For example, if Wi-Fi is enabled in your device Settings but turned off in the settings of your At work profile, Wi-Fi will turn off automatically when your At work profile activates. Check your profile settings to ensure Battery Saver does not make unwanted changes to your settings.
What should I do if the Accessibility permission is disabled repeatedly?
To improve performance, some Android devices proactively force apps to stop when your device screen turns off. Due to issues with the Android system, stopped apps with the Accessibility permission automatically lose this permission. In this case, you need to manually re-enable the permission to maintain full functionality of the app.
To re-enable the Accessibility permission, go to Settings → Accessibility on your device and grant the permission to Avast Battery Saver.
Additionally, on Huawei, Lenovo, Asus and Sony Xperia devices, you can use default system features to prevent the app from continually losing the permission. Follow the steps for your device:
What does a Battery Saver Pro subscription include?
Battery Saver Pro is the premium version of the app. With a Pro subscription, you can take advantage of the following features:
- Remove ads: eliminate ads from your Battery Saver experience.
- Address profile activation: use locations such as your home or office address to activate Battery Saver profiles.
- Avast direct support: receive prioritized responses directly from our customer support team when you submit inquiries via the app.
You can upgrade to Battery Saver Pro directly from the Applications tab of the app.
Can I create custom Battery Saver profiles or remove the profiles I don’t use?
You cannot currently make custom profiles or remove any of the five available profiles from Battery Saver. However, you can configure the settings for each to reflect your preferences. If you don’t want to use a certain profile, you can turn it off at the top of the settings for that profile.
Why does Battery Saver consume so much battery power?
To effectively monitor your apps and stop them from consuming excessive battery power, Battery Saver needs to run in the background continuously. Despite this, the app is designed to consume only the necessary amount of energy and apps tests reveal that the amount of battery power saved far outweighs the amount consumed.
What is App Stopping?
When you stop an app, you prevent it from running in the background and consuming a lot of unnecessary battery power. In Battery Saver, you can stop non-system apps one-by-one in the Running apps section, or tap the Stop Running Apps button (on the Applications tab) to stop them all at once. Some apps restart themselves, but most do not. If you want to continue receiving notifications from an app, reopen it on your device to restart it.
Does stopping apps make my device run faster?
For many devices and situations, Stopping Apps improves device performance. Even when not in use, your apps continue to run in the background. When fewer apps are running, your device has more free RAM and CPU to dedicate to the activities you are focused on. Certain apps make a greater difference to the performance of your device than others, and the impact of this function may also vary depending on your device type.
You can specify apps that you want this function to ignore in the Allowed apps section.
What is the Running apps section?
The Running apps section (on the Tools tab) shows the non-system apps that are currently running on your device, and the percentage of battery power each app has consumed in the past hour. Apps that have consumed less than one percent are only visible if you tap the Show all apps button.
You can Stop Apps one-by-one by tapping the Stop button next to an app, or all at once by tapping the Stop Running Apps button at the bottom of the screen.
What is the Allowed apps section?
By default, the App Stopping feature of Battery Saver ignores certain apps that have been preselected for your convenience. These apps are listed in the Allowed apps section (on the Tools tab). You can also add apps to this list by turning on any apps that you want to continue running when the app stopping function is performed.
Can I prevent certain apps from being stopped by the App Stopping function?
Yes. Follow these steps:
- Tap (or swipe to) the Tools tab and tap Allowed apps.
- Scroll down to the Stopped when you tap Stop Apps section and turn on any apps that you do not want to stop.
Battery Saver ignores all apps turned on in Allowed apps when you perform the App Stopping function.
What are Battery Saver Profiles and why should I use them?
Battery Saver enables you to set five different profiles (or sets of settings for your device) to reflect your varying device usage needs as they change throughout the day. Your device switches between these settings profiles automatically based on the triggers that you set.
The available profiles and their activation triggers are:
- Work and Home: activate when your device connects to the Wi-Fi network that you specify. If you have Battery Saver Pro, you can configure these profiles to activate when you arrive at specified addresses, for example, your home and work addresses.
- Night: activates at the time of day that you specify.
- Smart: activates when no other profile is active.
- Emergency: activates when your battery power reaches the percentage of remaining battery power that you specify, or the default setting of 25 percent.
You can configure the following settings in relation to the activation of each profile:
- Auto activate: turn on to enable the profile to activate automatically according to its trigger (a Wi-Fi connection, time, or battery-level).
- Notify when profile is activated: turn on to receive a notification each time the profile is activated.
By configuring the settings of each profile to meet your actual needs during your typical daily conducts, your device uses only the necessary amount of battery power so that your battery life is prolonged.
You can access your Battery Saver profiles and their settings on the Profiles tab.
Can I set my profiles to activate according to location?
Yes. When you subscribe to the premium version of the app, Battery Saver Pro, a range of additional features are unlocked including Address profile activation. This feature enables your Work and Home profiles to be activated according to location. To use this feature, upgrade to Battery Saver Pro.
What is the Smart profile?
The Smart profile is triggered when none of your other Battery Saver profiles are active. Although you can change the settings of this profile, the default settings are intended to ensure your device runs in its most optimal and battery-preserving mode without inhibiting device usage.
Which device settings can I customize in my Battery Saver profiles?
You can customize the following device settings for each of your Battery Saver profiles:
- Brightness: set the level of brightness for your device display, and specify whether you want the brightness to be Manual or Adaptive.
- Screen time-out: set the amount of idle time before the device switches into Sleep mode.
- Wi-Fi (or Internet for earlier versions of Android): set to Always ON if you want your Wi-Fi to always be active, Optimized ON if you want your Wi-Fi to turn on periodically while your device's screen is off, or OFF if you want your Wi-Fi to be turned off while the profile is active.
- Optimization period (if the Wi-Fi/Internet setting is set to Optimized ON): specify how often you want your Wi-Fi to turn on when your device is idle. If you select Never, your Wi-Fi only turns on while your device is active.
On Android versions prior to Android 5, an additional setting called Connectivity type exits. If this setting is available to you, select Wi-Fi if you only want to use Wi-Fi, Data if you only want to use data, or Prefer Wi-Fi if you want to use either but prefer Wi-Fi when it is available. This setting is not available on Android 5 and later because apps cannot make changes to mobile data on these versions.
Additionally, you can turn the following options on or off for each profile depending on whether you need them:
- Keep Wi-Fi on while playing music
- Screen rotation
- Vibrate when ringing
If you do not want to use a particular profile, you can disable it by turning the button off at the top-right of the settings for the unnecessary profile.
Why do I need to grant the Accessibility permission to Battery Saver?
The Accessibility permission is required for the app to perform the App Stopping function. This function is one of the most effective methods of battery preservation. Without this permission, the app can only kill running tasks which minimally helps to preserve battery life, because these tasks often immediately restart themselves. Stopping apps is a much stronger action which significantly increases the endurance of your battery life between recharges.
What are Permanent or Sticky notifications and why are they necessary?
Permanent or Sticky notifications are the notifications that continuously appear in your device's status bar while the related app is running.
In Battery Saver, this type of notification allows you to see critical information about your device such as the percentage of remaining battery, the number of apps currently running, or the profile which is currently active. Most importantly, however, permanent Battery Saver notifications enable the app to optimize your device settings and alert you when your battery is draining fast, even while the app interface is closed.
You can modify the information that the Battery Saver icon displays at the top of your screen to suit your preferences.
What is on the Cleanup tab?
On the Cleanup tab, you can see the percentage of used space on your device and calculate the amount of space that will become available if you perform a Safe clean, which is a function of the Avast Cleanup app. If this app is already installed on your device, you can open it directly from the Cleanup tab. Otherwise, you are directed to Google Play where you can install it.
For more information about Cleanup, see the following articles:
Can I disable Battery Saver notifications?
Yes, you can disable Battery Saver notifications in the following ways:
- To stop receiving notifications each time a profile is activated, go to the Profiles tab, tap the profile that you do not want to be notified about, tap Modify, then turn off the Notify when profile is activated option.
- To stop receiving notifications when more than 20 apps are running, an app is excessively draining your battery, or you have 50MB or more junk, go to the Tools tab, tap Settings, then tap Notifications. Turn off any notification that you do not want to receive.
How do I hide or change the Battery Saver icon at the top of my device screen?
The Battery Saver icon that appears in your system tray provides information about the state of your device. You can select the information that you want to display, or you can hide this icon. On the Tools tab, tap Settings, tap Notifications, then tap Permanent notification & system tray icon. Select one of the following options:
- Battery percentage: to see the percentage of remaining battery power.
- Apps running: to see the number of apps that are currently running.
- Profile: to see which profile is active.
- Nothing, with notification: to disable the notification at the top of your device screen, but keep the permanent notification in the notification center of your device.
Why does the app interface sometimes change to red?
The Battery Saver interface changes to red when you need to recharge your battery or stop apps (because too many are running in the background). When the app screen is green, no actions are necessary.
What is the Charging screen?
The Charging screen is a feature that displays charging progress and optimizes the performance of your device by stopping all background tasks. When this screen is active, you can check what time your device will finish charging and view the percentage of battery charge.
To enable this feature, follow these steps:
- Tap the Tools on the Battery Saver screen.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Charging screen, then tap the slider so that it changes to On.
When you enable Charging screen, you can specify the following settings:
- Tap Activate any time charging begins or Activate when charging with the screen off according to your preferences. By default, the Charging screen appears each time you begin charging your device.
- Tap Boost automatically when charging begins to allow Battery Saver to stop any running tasks while your device is charging.
How do I enable or disable the Charging screen?
To enable the Charging screen feature, follow these steps:
- Tap the Tools on the Battery Saver screen.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Charging screen, then tap the slider so that it changes to On.
To disable the Charging screen follow the above steps and tap the slider so that it changes to Off.
While the Charging screen is active, you can swipe right at the bottom of the screen to exit, or tap the gear icon to access Charging screen settings.
How can I subscribe to Battery Saver Pro?
You can subscribe to Battery Saver Pro by tapping the Upgrade badge on the home screen of the app (the Applications tab). When you tap this option, you are directed to the purchase screen to select your subscription type (monthly or yearly) and complete the upgrade. After upgrading, the features are unlocked and available to use. To upgrade, you need to have a Google account connected with Google Play services.
Can I use my Battery Saver Pro subscription on more than one device?
Your Battery Saver Pro subscription is connected to your Google account and activates automatically on all devices that you use your account on when you install the app. If the premium features are not automatically unlocked, you can activate an existing subscription in your Battery Saver settings.
How can I activate a previously purchased license on an alternative device?
Your Battery Saver Pro subscription automatically activates on all devices that are signed into the Google account you purchased the subscription from. If you already have a subscription but the premium features are not available in the app, ensure that you are signed into the correct account in Google Play.
Alternatively, manually check for a valid subscription by following these steps:
- Tap (or swipe to) the Tools tab.
- Tap Settings, then tap Subscription.
- Tap Restore previous purchase at the bottom of the screen.
Battery Saver checks for a subscription registered to the Google account you are currently signed into and activates it on your device.
Is my license for Battery Saver Pro also valid for other Avast Pro apps?
No. If you purchase a license for Battery Saver Pro, your license is only valid for this app. This license does not work for any other Avast Pro app, even if the apps are installed on the same mobile device. For example, if you want to use Avast Cleanup Pro in addition to Battery Saver Pro, you need to purchase a separate license directly from the Avast Cleanup app.
How can I cancel a Battery Saver Pro subscription?
To cancel a subscription, ensure that you are signed into the Google account that you used to purchase the subscription, then follow these steps:
- Open Google Play on your device.
- Tap the menu icon at the top-left, then tap Account.
- Tap Subscriptions, then tap Cancel below the subscription.
- Tap Cancel Subscription to confirm.
Google Play confirms the subscription is cancelled. Your subscription is cancelled and will stop at the end of the current billing cycle.
Why did I stop receiving notifications from some of my apps?
When you stop apps, all unnecessary apps stop running in the background to help preserve your device's battery life. Most apps need to be running in the background to send notifications to you. For example, if a messaging app is not running in the background, the app won't notify you about a new message until you restart the app. To ensure that you don't miss a notification, manually reopen any apps that you want to continue receiving updates from after you stop your apps from running. You can also add apps to your Allowed apps list if you want them to be ignored when you stop apps.
Why am I not receiving notifications about new emails?
You may not be receiving notifications about new emails because of your internet settings for the active profile. To check, go to the Profiles tab, tap the current profile (for example, Home, Work, and so on), then tap the Settings icon. In the Profile settings, check the Optimization period which refers to how often Wi-Fi turns on if you have selected Optimized ON for the Wi-Fi (or Internet for earlier versions of Android) setting.
If you set the Optimization period to Never, your Wi-Fi only turns on while your device screen is active which can prevent you from receiving notifications about new emails. We recommend that you set this option to Don't limit to ensure that your Wi-Fi turns on whenever a known Wi-Fi network is within range, even while your device is idle.
Why do I get a lot of pop-ups on my Huawei, Xiaomi, or ZTE device?
Some OS versions of Huawei, Xiaomi, and ZTE require user confirmation when an app attempts to change system settings. This requirement means that each time a different profile is activated on your Huawei, Xiaomi, or ZTE device, you are notified about it by your device because the profile alters your settings. If you are experiencing this problem, you can stop the notifications by disabling all profiles, and use just the App Stopping feature to improve the endurance of your battery life.
Why can't Battery Saver turn mobile data on or off in Android 5.x?
On Android versions 5 and above, only system apps can make changes to mobile data settings. Google imposed this security restriction to prevent you from incurring unintentional mobile data charges caused by third party apps.
What can I do to make my battery last longer throughout the day?
The easiest way to extend the length of your battery's life is to regularly use the App Stopping function on the Applications tab. On this tab, you can see the amount of remaining battery life or, if you are currently charging your device, the amount of time before your battery will be fully recharged. At the bottom of the page, you can also see the amount of time you could add to your battery life by stopping the apps that are currently running in the background. Tap the Stop Running Apps button to stop these apps and extend your battery life.
To see exactly how much time has been added to your battery's life, go to the Tools tab where you can see statistics for the current day, the past one or two weeks, or the past month.
How do I know that Battery Saver is working?
When you use your Battery Saver profiles to manage your device settings throughout the day, and regularly stop apps from running unnecessarily in the background, you can expect to notice an increase in time between recharges. To see how many apps Battery Saver has stopped and an estimation of how many hours the app has added to your battery's life, go to the Tools tab. You can choose to see these statistics for the current day, the past one or two weeks, or the past month.
How can I provide feedback or ask for help?
If you want to provide feedback or show appreciation and support for Avast mobile products, you can:
- Write a positive review on Google Play.
- Tell your friends about our software via Facebook or Twitter.
- Post reviews in Android related forums.
For help or to send feedback directly to us, go to the Help & Feedback section of the app (which is located on the Tools tab) and try one of the following options:
- Tap Avast direct support to contact us directly for help and support (this feature is only available if you have the premium version of the app).
- Check the FAQs for answers to the most commonly asked questions.
- Tap Jump to Forum to be directed to our forum where you can ask or answer questions about Battery Saver.
- Tap Share your thoughts, give feedback to the developers to fill in a feedback form about the app and send it directly to our developers (this form is for feedback purposes only and we cannot guarantee a response).
Can I join the Battery Saver beta group?
We'd love for you to join the beta group, and joining is easy. Open the following link in your browser and click Become a Tester.
As part of our beta group, you'll be the first to receive updates and new features.
What other Avast apps should I be using?
Avast has designed a range of apps to improve the performance of your mobile device and protect you from hackers and thieves:
- Avast Mobile Security: Secure your phone and tablet with our free Mobile Security app which features both antivirus and Wi-Fi vulnerability protection.
- Avast Cleanup: Improve the performance and efficiency of your device with our Cleanup app, which quickly analyzes the storage space on your device and clears all unnecessary, space-wasting data.
- Avast Wi-Fi Finder: Connect to secure public Wi-Fi networks quickly and easily wherever you go using Wi-Fi Finder.
- Avast Passwords: Keep all of your passwords protected and easily sign into your online accounts using one main password. You can synchronize this app across multiple devices.
- Avast SecureLine VPN: Prevent hackers from accessing and stealing your data when you are connected to public or open Wi-Fi networks, secure your personal Wi-Fi networks, and protect your privacy using the SecureLine private encryption VPN.
- Avast Anti-Theft: Locate and track your lost or stolen device on a map with our Anti-Theft app's web-based mobile tracking feature that uses GPS tracker and other triangulation methods.
- Avast App Locker: Protect sensitive content against mobile device intrusion with our App Locker app.
What are the system requirements for Battery Saver?
You can install and run Battery Saver on any device running Android operating systems 4.0.3 and above. However, on Android 5.0 and above, Battery Saver cannot disable mobile data because only pre-installed system applications have the permission necessary to do so.
Battery Saver cannot be downloaded or installed on non-Android operating systems including Symbian, iOS, Microsoft Windows Phone, Bada, or WebOS.
The system settings of certain device types may also affect the operation of Battery Saver, and if you are using a custom ROM, the app may not work as expected. Contact support to report any feedback regarding this issue.
How can I download and install Battery Saver?
Battery Saver is available from Google Play or our website when you access it from your mobile device:
Battery Saver is now installed and ready to use. The app is only available in a free version so you do not need a license to activate it.
How can I uninstall Battery Saver?
You can uninstall Battery Saver in Google Play:
- Open Google Play from the Apps screen of your device and search for Avast Battery Saver.
- Tap Avast Battery Saver to open the app information page.
- Tap Uninstall, then tap OK to confirm the uninstallation.
Battery Saver is no longer installed on your device.