Avast Passwords for Android and iOS: FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions
This article is about Avast Passwords installed on mobile devices. For information about Passwords on computers with Avast Antivirus, please read the following article:
Download and Installation
Features and Usage
Other Questions and Troubleshooting
What is Avast Passwords?
Avast Passwords is a free application that safely stores and manages your sensitive login information for online services and allows you to quickly log-in and fill online forms automatically with the auto-fill feature. You only need to remember one Master Password to log in to multiple services.
While most browsers offer to store your identity information, this is not done in a very secure way and can be easily hacked. When you use Avast Passwords you can quickly import any info stored in browsers, and be sure it is stored with top of the line security.
Passwords also offers many useful and convenient features to help you manage passwords across all your devices within a synchronization group, and more.
What are major features offered by Passwords?
Passwords offers several handy features to help you keep track of your passwords and sensitive data.
- Auto-fills forms and logins to save time
- Auto-captures passwords whenever you login to a new site
- Generates secure passwords
- Imports passwords easily from browsers
- Syncs data for free across devices via your Avast Account
Is Passwords more secure than storing my passwords in my browser?
Yes. When you store passwords in your browser, they are stored on your device along with the information necessary to decrypt them and are therefore easy to hack. Passwords stores your passwords with a much more secure level of encryption, and protects all your data with a password known only to you, so that your data remains safely hidden from any unauthorized access.
What are the system requirements for Avast Passwords?
You can install and run Avast Passwords on any Android device running Android 4.1 or higher, Apple iPhone, or Apple iPod Touch running iOS 8 or higher.
You can also use Avast Passwords on your Windows PC with Avast Antivirus installed.
Which browsers and apps are supported by Avast Passwords?
For Android devices, Avast Passwords fully supports Opera and Chrome. Samsung and HTC native browsers are generally supported, however there may be compatibility issues on some devices.
For iOS devices, Avast Passwords supports the Safari browser.
You can see the list of supported apps when you try to add a new service in Avast Passwords. The list will expand as we work to support more apps.
How can I download Avast Passwords?
Avast Passwords for Android is available via Google Play Store.
Avast Passwords for iOS is available via Apple App Store.
How can I install Avast Passwords?
How can I uninstall Avast Passwords?
How can I configure Avast Passwords?
Avast Passwords is ready to use. You can add data for online services in your password vault.
For details about Avast Passwords configuration please read the following article:
How can I add new data to Avast Passwords?
Can I store more than one account for an online service?
You can store more than one account login for a service. Each account stored is visible on the services list under the name of the service.
How can I log in to an online service with Avast Passwords?
What is the Synchronization feature?
Synchronization allows you to sync your data with other devices in the same group. A group is created when you configure Avast Passwords synchronization on the first device. Your Avast Account is used to identify and authorize devices in the group. All devices connected to the same Avast Account are synchronized in the same group.
Each device must be authorized before it can be added to the group. There are two possible authorization scenarios:
- Adding the first device – Your first device is authorized using your Avast Account credentials. A backup is created during the first synchronization, and an email is sent containing your Restore link. In case you lose access to your device, you can use the Restore link to access the backup and regain access to Avast Passwords data.
- Adding a subsequent device – Whenever you add a new device to an existing group, for security it must be authorized by a device which already belongs to the group as well as your Avast Account credentials. Simply tap or click the confirmation in the notification which appears on the previously authorized device.
Until your device is authorized for synchronization, all data is stored locally on the device.
For details about Synchronization please read the following article:
What is the Backup feature?
Backup has two functions:
- Self-authorization – When you want to add a device to an existing synchronization group, but no other device is handy to authorize it, you can restore your backup to authorize the new device.
- Disaster recovery – When you have lost access to all devices belonging to your data synchronization group, restore your backup to regain access to your data.
To restore your backup, you will need the email containing your Restore link sent when the synchronization group was created, and the Master Password for the first device added to the group.
For details about Backup restoration please read the following article:
What is the Avast Notes section?
Avast Notes provides a secure place to store notes in Avast Passwords. All notes are encrypted and protected by your Master Password to ensure maximum security. This feature protects your confidential information from unauthorized access.
What is One Touch Login?
One Touch Login allows you to pair your mobile device with the Avast Passwords vault installed on your PC. Pair your device with the vault by scanning QR code. Then you can unlock your password vault on the PC simply by tapping the notification on your paired mobile device. This saves you from having to enter the password manually, especially useful if your password is complex.
This feature is available only with the premium version of Avast Passwords installed on your PC.
For more information about the One Touch Login feature please read the following article:
What can I do if I forget my Master Password?
If you do not remember your password, you may restore your backup. To restore your backup, Passwords must be installed. You will need the email containing your Restore link sent when the synchronization group was created, and the Master Password for the first device added to the synchronization group.
There is no other possibility to restore your access. We cannot reset your password on our side. We do not store your passwords and we cannot decrypt your data without your Master Password.
If you do not know the Master Password requested, you can start a new group but cannot access data you have stored previously.
How can I change my Master Password if I know the current one?
What should I do when there is no device to authorize my access?
When you want to add a device to an existing synchronization group, but no other device is handy to authorize it, you can self-authorize the new device by the same process as restoring your backup.
What happens to my passwords if my device is lost or stolen?
Your data is protected with your Master Password. If you have more devices that are synchronized with the lost or stolen one, you can remove the device from the group remotely in your settings for synchronization.
What is the benefit of connecting Passwords to my Avast Account?
When you connect Passwords to your Avast Account, your information is safely encrypted and ready to synchronize for easy access from any of your connected devices. Additionally, a backup is created for your Passwords data. The backup can be restored in case you lose access to a device.
For more information about synchronization and restore, please read the following article:
How can I give feedback about the app?
There are many ways you can support and help improve Avast mobile products. For example:
If you want to share your general experience about the app or recommend it:
If you have a technical issue with Avast Passwords or an idea how to improve it:
- Send feedback from the app. The feedback section is accessible from Settings → Contact Support
- Report feedback via our support pages or send an e-mail directly to:
What other Avast apps should I be using?
Avast has created the following range of apps to improve the performance of your mobile device and protect you from hackers and thieves:
- Avast Mobile Security: Secure your phone and tablet with our free Mobile Security app which features both antivirus and Wi-Fi vulnerability protection.
- Avast Cleanup: Improve the performance and efficiency of your device with our Cleanup app, which quickly analyzes the storage space on your device and clears all unnecessary, space-wasting data.
- Avast Wi-Fi Finder: Connect to secure public Wi-Fi networks quickly and easily wherever you go with Wi-Fi Finder.
- Avast Anti-Theft: Locate and track your lost or stolen device on a map with our Anti-Theft app's web-based mobile tracking feature that uses GPS tracker and other triangulation methods.
- Avast SecureLine VPN: Prevent hackers from accessing and stealing your data when you are connected to public or open Wi-Fi networks, secure your personal Wi-Fi networks, and protect your privacy using the SecureLine private encryption VPN.
- Avast Battery Saver: Preserve battery life on one charge and identify and stop applications that drain the most energy from your mobile device.
- Avast App Locker: Protect sensitive content against mobile device intrusion with our App Locker app.
- iOS 8 and higher
- Android 4.1 and higher