Avast Passwords for Android and iOS: FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions
This article is about Passwords installed on mobile devices. For information about Passwords on PCs with Avast Antivirus, read the following article:
Download and Installation
Features and Usage
Other Questions and Troubleshooting
What is Passwords?
Passwords is an easy to use password manager. It securely stores your sensitive information and enables you to quickly log into your online accounts and complete web forms. Many browsers offer to store your identity information, however, this is not very secure and can be easily hacked. When you use Avast Passwords you can quickly import any information stored in your browsers, and be sure it is stored with top of the line security.
What are major features offered by Passwords?
Passwords offers several handy features to help you keep track of your passwords and sensitive data.
- Auto-fills forms and logins to save time
- Auto-captures passwords whenever you log into a new site
- Generates secure passwords
- Syncs data for free across devices via your Avast Account
Is Passwords more secure than storing my passwords in my browser?
Yes. When you store passwords in your browser, they are stored on your device along with the information necessary to decrypt them and are therefore easy to hack. Passwords stores your passwords with a much more secure level of encryption, and protects all your data with a password known only to you, so that your data remains safely hidden from any unauthorized access.
What are the system requirements for Passwords?
You can also use Passwords on your Windows PC with Avast Antivirus installed.
Which browsers and apps are supported by Passwords?
You can see the list of supported apps when you try to add a new account in Passwords. The list will expand as we work to support more apps.
How can I download and install Passwords?
How can I uninstall Passwords?
How do I configure Passwords?
Passwords is ready to use and you can begin adding data for your online accounts.
For more details about configuring Passwords, read the following article:
How can I add a new account to Passwords?
For more information read the following article:
How can I add a new note to Passwords?
For more information read the following article:
Can I store more than one account for an online service?
You can store more than one account login for a service. Each account stored is visible on the services list under the name of the service.
How can I log in on a website or app with Passwords?
What is the Synchronization feature?
Synchronization allows you to sync your data on other devices with Passwords. When you configure Passwords synchronization on the first device, you log into your Avast Account which is used to identify and authorize other devices.
Each device needs to be authorized before it can be synchronized. There are two authorization scenarios:
- Adding the first device: your first device is authorized using your Avast Account credentials. A backup is created during the first synchronization, and an email is sent containing your Restore link. In case you lose access to your device, you can use the Restore link to access the backup and regain access to Passwords data.
- Adding a subsequent device: to synchronize a new device, you need to authorize the new device with a previously synchronized device by logging into the same Avast Account. Tap or click the confirmation in the notification which appears on the previously synchronized device.
Until your device is authorized for synchronization, all data is stored locally on the device.
For more details about Synchronization, read the following article:
What is the Backup feature?
Backup has two functions:
- Self-authorization: when you want to synchronize a new device, but no other previously synchronized device is available to authorize it, you can restore your backup to authorize the new device.
- Disaster recovery: if you lose access to all synchronized devices using the same Avast Account, you can restore your backup to regain access to your data.
To restore your backup, you need the email containing the Restore link which was sent when the first device was synchronized, as well as the Master Password for the first synchronized device.
For details about restoring a backup, read the following article:
What is the Notes section?
The Notes section is a place where you can safely store notes in Passwords. All notes are encrypted and protected by your Master Password to ensure maximum security. This feature protects your confidential information from unauthorized access.
What is One Touch Login?
One Touch Login allows you to pair your mobile device with Passwords installed on your PC. Pair your device by scanning QR code. Then you can unlock your Passwords on the PC simply by tapping the notification on your paired mobile device. This saves you from having to enter the password manually, especially useful if your password is complex.
This feature is available only with the premium version of Passwords installed on your PC.
For more information about the One Touch Login feature read the following article:
What can I do if I forget my Master Password?
If you do not remember your Master Password, you can restore your backup. To restore your backup, Passwords needs to be installed. You also need the email containing the Restore link which was sent when the first device was synchronized, as well as the Master Password for the first synchronized device.
Avast cannot reset your password. We do not store your passwords and we cannot decrypt your data without your Master Password. If you do not know the requested Master Password, you can start a new group but cannot access data you have stored previously.
How can I change my Master Password if I know the current one?
What should I do if the Accessibility permission is disabled repeatedly?
To improve performance, some Android devices proactively force apps to stop when your device screen turns off. Due to issues with the Android system, stopped apps with the Accessibility permission automatically lose this permission. In this case, you need to manually re-enable the permission to maintain full functionality of the app.
To re-enable the Accessibility permission, go to Settings → Accessibility on your device and grant the permission to Avast Passwords.
Additionally, on Huawei, Lenovo, Asus and Sony Xperia devices, you can use default system features to prevent the app from continually losing the permission. Follow the steps for your device:
What should I do when there is no device to authorize my access?
When you want to add a device to an existing synchronization group, but no other device is handy to authorize it, you can self-authorize the new device by the same process as restoring your backup.
What happens to my passwords if my device is lost or stolen?
Your data is protected with your Master Password. If you have more devices that are synchronized with the lost or stolen one, you can remove the device from the group remotely in your settings for synchronization.
What is the benefit of connecting Passwords to my Avast Account?
When you connect Passwords to your Avast Account, your information is safely encrypted and ready to synchronize for easy access from any of your connected devices. Additionally, a backup is created for your Passwords data. The backup can be restored in case you lose access to a device.
For more information about synchronization and restore, please read the following article:
How can I give feedback about the app?
There are many ways you can support and help improve Avast mobile products. For example:
If you want to share your general experience about the app or recommend it:
If you have a technical issue with Passwords or an idea how to improve it:
- Send feedback from the app. The feedback section is accessible from Settings → Contact Support
- Report feedback via our support pages or send an e-mail directly to:
What other Avast apps should I be using?
Avast has created the following range of apps to improve the performance of your mobile device and protect you from hackers and thieves:
- Avast Mobile Security: secure your phone and tablet with our free Mobile Security app which features both antivirus and Wi-Fi vulnerability protection.
- Avast Cleanup: improve the performance and efficiency of your device with our Cleanup app, which quickly analyzes the storage space on your device and clears all unnecessary, space-wasting data.
- Avast Wi-Fi Finder: connect to secure public Wi-Fi networks quickly and easily wherever you go with Wi-Fi Finder.
- Avast SecureLine VPN: prevent hackers from accessing and stealing your data when you are connected to public or open Wi-Fi networks, secure your personal Wi-Fi networks, and protect your privacy using the SecureLine private encryption VPN.
- Avast Battery Saver: preserve battery life on one charge and identify and stop applications that drain the most energy from your mobile device.
- iOS 8 and higher
- Android 4.1 and higher