Support: Reporting Malware Samples
Avast software strives to provide the highest level of protection via technology that proactively detects threats and blocks websites and files before they can attack your system. Acquiring new samples is vital to our ability to protect our users. We constantly receive new samples of malicious code and race to update our products so that they recognize these threats before they can infect your devices.
How to report Malware Samples
Who can submit files and websites?
Anyone can submit files and websites to the Avast Virus Lab for analysis. Our automated systems check all the files and websites submitted for malicious, or potentially unwanted activity, and then take one of the following actions:
- If there is strong evidence that the file or website is malicious, the file or website is blocked by our virus definition updates as soon as possible.
- If the automated system cannot determine with certainty that the file is malicious, the file or website is sent for manual analysis by our virus lab analysts. The files and websites we receive are prioritized by the potential severity and number of users it can harm. After manual analysis, the file or website is categorized as safe or harmful.
What type of files can I submit?
We encourage you to send any type of file that you believe may be malicious to us for evaluation. Please note, we do not send replies following file submissions or evaluations.
How can I submit files?
You can submit files in the following ways:
- Send an email to email@example.com with the subject line Undetected Malware. If you submit multiple files, send them as single, compressed files (for example, in ZIP, RAR, or 7z format). For information about compressing (or zipping) files, refer to the following article:
- Upload files to our anonymous FTP server (if the file is too large to send via email). Upload the file to the incoming/ folder then send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org specifying the name of the uploaded file. For detailed instructions about how to use our anonymous FTP server to upload samples, refer to the following article:
How can I submit websites?
You can submit websites in the following way:
Send an email to email@example.com with the subject line Undetected Malware. In the body of your message, include the full URL(s) of the undetected website(s). You can also add details of the malicious behavior that you noticed when visiting the website(s).
Are uploaded samples confidential?
Avast does not collect any personal information when you submit files and websites to the virus lab. All submitted files and websites are used for research purposes only, however, uploading to the anonymous FTP server is the most private way to send us a file.
- All Avast Software products
- All supported operating systems