Avast Antivirus: Troubleshooting issues with Avast Antivirus version 17.x
The following questions relate to issues that you may experience in the latest version of Avast Antivirus and changes that have been introduced.
The following questions relate to issues that have now been resolved. If you experience any of these issues, ensure that you have the latest version of Avast Antivirus installed. If updating your program does not prevent these issues from occurring, follow the troubleshooting steps described for the relevant issue.
Why can't I modify Friends in Avast Firewall settings?
In the latest version of Avast, you can no longer specify trusted networks in the Friends section of your Firewall settings (Protection ▸ Firewall ▸ Setttings). Firewall is designed to automatically determine which networks are safe. In Friends, you can now only see an overview of automatically added networks (visible as IP address ranges). To provide feedback about this change, contact Avast Support.
How can I prevent the SafePrice page from opening when I start Firefox?
If the SafePrice page opens each time you start Firefox, complete one of the following sets of instructions in your Firefox browser:
- Set Firefox to remember your history:
- Click the menu icon in the top-right corner and go to Options ▸ Privacy.
- In the History section, click the drop-down menu next to Firefox will: and select Remember history.
- Ensure that Firefox is not set to clear your history each time the browser is closed:
- Click the menu icon in the top-right corner and go to Options ▸ Privacy.
- In the History section, click the drop-down menu next to Firefox will: and select Use custom settings for history.
- Untick Clear history when Firefox closes.
What can I do if Avast sounds and voice-overs are not working correctly?
In the latest version of Avast Antivirus, sounds and voice-overs are not yet fully functional. For instance, you may not hear a sound or voice confirmation after a scan completes. We are aware of this issue and are working to resolve it by the next release.
In the meantime, follow these steps to ensure Avast sounds and voice-overs are enabled:
- Open the Avast user interface and go to Settings ▸ General.
- Scroll down to the Sounds section and ensure all boxes are ticked.
Why can't I use keyboard shortcuts to control the Avast user interface?
The latest version of Avast Antivirus does not allow you to control the Avast user interface with keyboard shortcuts. To provide feedback about this change, contact Avast Support.
How can I resolve issues trying to access shared MS Office files on Windows XP?
Windows XP users with the latest version of Avast Antivirus may experience issues when trying to access shared MS Office files that were created on newer versions of Windows. If you experience this issue, ensure that File System Shield is configured correctly in Avast. Follow these steps:
- Open the Avast user interface and go to Settings ▸ Components.
- Click Customize next to File System Shield.
- Select the Scan when writing tab from the left-side panel.
- Ensure that Do not scan files on remote shares is ticked.
If this option is ticked but you are still unable to access shared MS Office files, contact Avast Support and describe your issue. To provide details, generate a log using one of the following tools and attach it to your support ticket:
What should I do if I receive an error message about missing permissions for Avast processes?
If you receive an error message about missing permissions for Avast processes, contact Avast Support and describe your issue. To provide details, generate a log using one of the following tools and attach it to your support ticket:
Why can't I pause scans?
The option to pause scans in Avast Antivirus is no longer available. To provide feedback about this change, contact Avast Support.
How can I open SafeZone Browser?
In the latest version of Avast Antivirus, you can no longer access SafeZone Browser from the Avast user interface. Instead, open the browser by double-clicking the SafeZone Browser icon on your desktop.
For additional protection while you shop or bank online, we recommend you use the Bank Mode feature of SafeZone Browser. You can enable Bank Mode in the following ways:
- Right-click the Avast icon in your system tray and select Run Bank Mode.
- Double-click the SafeZone Browser icon on your desktop and, when the browser opens, click the credit card icon next to the address bar.
What can I do if I experience issues with Cleanup?
If you experience any of the following issues with Cleanup, refer to the related details:
- Windows profile is not working correctly after I optimize my PC: contact Avast Support and specify whether you upgraded your system to the current version, or the current system version was pre-installed on your PC. If you upgraded your system, specify how long you have been using the new system for.
- Cleanup scans are slow or fail to complete: Cleanup scans can take several minutes if you have a large number of files stored on your PC. We are aware that sometimes, however, scans take a long time to complete or stop mid process without reason and are working to resolve this issue by the next release.
- I cannot run a Cleanup scan because the Cleanup screen is blank: this issue is related to the internet connection that Cleanup requires to work properly. We are working to resolve this issue by the next release.
- Cleanup displays error messages 'Something gone wrong' or 'Error 557: request can't be processed': contact Avast Support with a screenshot of the error message on your screen, and provide details about the actions that prompted the error message to appear.
- The Resolve button is unresponsive: we are aware that sometimes when you click Resolve after a scan completes, no actions are performed. We are working to resolve this issue by the next release.
- The Optimization option is not functioning properly: we are working to resolve this issue by the next release.
- I am unable to schedule cleans: we are working to resolve this issue by the next release. In the meantime, refer to our temporary solution.
Why can't I schedule a clean from the Cleanup screen?
The Cleanup Schedule option on the Cleanup screen is not fully functional yet. We are working on a permanent solution for this issue. In the meantime, schedule an automatic clean from the Cleanup settings screen. Follow these steps:
- Open the Avast user interface and go to Settings ▸ Components, scroll down to the Performance section and click Customize next to Cleanup.
- Select Scheduling on the left-side panel.
- Tick Schedule clean and schedule the scan according to your preferences.
What should I do if Firefox becomes slower after I enable the Avast Passwords extension?
We are currently gathering feedback about this possible issue. If you notice that your Firefox browser becomes slower when you enable the Passwords browser extension, provide your feedback to us by contacting Avast Support.
Why doesn't SecureLine VPN allow me to access content from the United States?
Some US internet service providers block non-US network connections. To access US content via SecureLine VPN, connect to a VPN server that is based in the US. Follow these steps:
- Open the Avast user interface and go to Privacy ▸ SecureLine VPN.
- Click Change location.
- Select United States from the list of countries.
- Select one of the displayed cities.
What can I do if the Avast user interface fails to load? - RESOLVED
If you receive an error message while loading the Avast user interface, you can resolve the problem in the following ways:
- UI has a bad day: update to the latest version of Avast Antivirus. Right-click the Avast icon in the system tray and select Update ▸ Program.
- Avast service is not responding: reinstall Avast using the Uninstall Utility. For more information read the following article:
What can I do if SecureLine VPN is unable to connect to a server? - RESOLVED
Synchronization issues can cause SecureLine VPN to be unable to establish a connection with a server. If you experience this issue, you may need to reactivate the feature. Follow these steps:
- Open the Avast user interface and go to Settings ▸ Subscription.
- Under the heading Subscription, click Insert license file.
- Locate your license file and click Open.
- Click Yes to confirm the subscription details.
When the activation code is accepted, the message Your products have been activated appears.
How can I watch videos in SafeZone Browser? - RESOLVED
If you're unable to play a video in SafeZone Browser (for example, on YouTube) follow these troubleshooting steps:
- Open Avast SafeZone Browser and click Avast SafeZone in the top-left corner.
- Select Settings (gear icon) from the drop-down menu.
- Ensure that the Browser tab is selected, then tick Show advanced settings in the bottom left-side corner of your browser window.
- Scroll down to the System section and untick Use hardware acceleration.
- Close then reopen Avast SafeZone Browser.
When you are no longer watching videos, we recommend you re-enable the hardware acceleration setting to improve the performance of your browser.
How can I resolve Behavior Shield issues? - RESOLVED
Behavior Shield monitors the programs installed on your PC for suspicious behavior that may indicate the presence of malicious code. If this component blocks a program that you believe is safe, ensure that the latest version of the program is installed on your PC. Behavior Shield may treat outdated software as a potential security threat.
In some cases, Behavior Shield may display the error message The application was unable to start correctly (0xC00000e5) or stop an application from running and freeze your PC.
We are investigating these issues and working on a permanent solution. If necessary, temporarily disable Behavior Shield in Settings ▸ Components.
We strongly discourage permanently disabling Behavior Shield. When enabled, this protection component provides vital security for your PC.
Why can't I see the progress of a scan while it is running? - RESOLVED
In the latest version of Avast Antivirus, the scan progress screen may not appear when a scan is running. We are currently working on a solution for this issue and will release a fix soon. We apologize for the inconvenience.
- Avast Premier 17.x
- Avast Internet Security 17.x
- Avast Pro Antivirus 17.x
- Avast Free Antivirus 17.x
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic / Home Premium / Business / Enterprise / Ultimate (SP2 or higher)
- Microsoft Windows XP Home / Professional / Media Center Edition (SP3)