Support: Troubleshooting an Unresponsive Keyboard
How to Troubleshoot an Unresponsive Keyboard
Sometimes other programs or services running on your computer may conflict with your Avast software and cause your keyboard to stop working. This issue can usually be fixed with a simple modification to your Windows registry as outlined in this article.
To complete the following steps, use your your PC's On-Screen Keyboard for any steps that require you to type. You can locate this keyboard in the Ease of Access section of Settings and on the login screen.
- Ensure that you are logged in to your PC with administrator permissions.
- Type regedit into the Windows search box to locate and open the Registry editor.
- Click Edit, then click Find..., type aswKbd, then click Find Next.
- Open each UpperFilters entry that the Registry editor finds and delete the aswKbd text from the Value data field.
- Restart your computer.
In most cases, this modification to your Windows registry reactivates the keyboard. If your keyboard is still not working, contact Avast Support. For more detailed instructions, refer to the Detailed Steps below.
Use the following steps to reactivate your keyboard if it is unresponsive.
If your keyboard is still not working after your PC restarts, contact Avast Support for further assistance.
- Avast Free Antivirus 2016
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home / Pro / Enterprise / Education
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 8 / Pro / Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic / Home Premium / Business / Enterprise / Ultimate
- Microsoft Windows XP Home / Professional / Media Center Edition